Whipple install....leaky intercooler

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
I spent all day Saturday and half of today installing the new Whipple kit and it was just going too damn good because after letting it idle for about 4-5 minutes I noticed a coolant leak at the base of the compressor housing where it is bolted to the casting that the intercooler is housed in. IC Coolant was seeping right through the gasket. I didn't see any coolant down inside the intake or even dripping from the bottom of the intercooler core, just leaking externally.

I pulled the SOB off and will be calling Whipple tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

I knew it was going too smooth.

After a closer look I found it's not the intercooler that's leaking. The discharge housing which is cast aluminum and contains the intercooler is what's leaking. It seems the casting itself is defective. I spoke to Art Whipple today and he wants me and all of his customers to be happy. He is sending me a new discharge housing, special sealant and anything else that's needed for the swap free of charge via air freight. Now that's customer service!

Shouldn't have passed QC like that. I'd demand a little more, considering you've been inconvenienced and all.

Manufacturers are rushing their work. It's cool they are quick to remedy these kinds of problems, but they shouldn't be making it to our door steps in the first place.

Shouldn't have passed QC like that. I'd demand a little more, considering you've been inconvenienced and all.

Manufacturers are rushing their work. It's cool they are quick to remedy these kinds of problems, but they shouldn't be making it to our door steps in the first place.

You are right it shouldn't have passed through QC, but in practice, it is impossible for QC to pick up every part with a defect. Beyond human error, it is completely impractical to inspect each part. The amount of manpower involved would triple the cost of the product. Companies do a random sampling that shows statistically less than X% of pieces will have a defect. Obviously different companies will hold different standards, but even if they check all but one that still leaves a possibility of one defective part getting out there.

The company shouldn't be judged completely on a couple defective parts being sent out, but on how they resolve the problems that do occur.

I'm glad to hear they took care of this problem for you!

You are right it shouldn't have passed through QC, but in practice, it is impossible for QC to pick up every part with a defect. Beyond human error, it is completely impractical to inspect each part. The amount of manpower involved would triple the cost of the product. Companies do a random sampling that shows statistically less than X% of pieces will have a defect. Obviously different companies will hold different standards, but even if they check all but one that still leaves a possibility of one defective part getting out there.

The company shouldn't be judged completely on a couple defective parts being sent out, but on how they resolve the problems that do occur.

I'm glad to hear they took care of this problem for you!

In a way I agree, but then I step back and look at the cost as is. We are not talking about 100, 200, or even 500 bucks, we're talking about damn near 5000.00 plus time vested installing and removing.

I'd make it clear how disappointed I was pure and simple.

Is it that the casting is porious?

That's what it looks like to be.

It is a lot of money, damn near $6000 but the casting is only one part (small part) of a pretty damn impressive kit.

The last thing I'd do is make it clear how disappointed I am especially when they have responded so quickly. When the owner of a company gets on the phone for 30 minutes and discusses the problem and is willing to air freight parts to me I'm happy. They normally would want the whole blower and intercooler shipped back and not just take the word of a guy they don't know. That's 5 days shipping from MD to CA and 5 days back plus repair time and weekends.

The way I see it is this is the first casting they've had a problem with. They do pressure test the intercoolers, but that's like expecting a wheel manufacturer to check their castings for air leaking through. It just doesn't happen often.

Anthony, I see your point as well. If your happy with their actions that's your call. I'm glad it's headed down the right path to working out.

My point is there's plenty of these "small issues" slipping out the door on these 4k to 6K purchases. Whipple isn't the only one, KB, procharger, paxton and vortech all have their hiccups.

My procharger was mis-shipped with injectors when I purchased an intercooled tuner kit. Funny thing is, they sent me injectors which I didn't order but left out the intercooler, but included the intercooler tubing and couplers. I was on the phone instantly after unpacking. Intercooler was shipped overnight, I was refunded 580.00 bucks for the inconvenience and they said to keep the injectors.

I'm not saying to be a jag when calling these guys, I'm saying make it clear exactly how this has affected you. Done right more than the norm will be done to not only correct the issue, but make you speak highly of them in all future discussions.

Glenn (Heavy GT) was very recently inconvenienced when we did his KB non intercooled install, and the tune was hosed up. KB is supplying him with an intercooler at cost and they did a few other nice things to make things right with him.

Anyway, keep us in the loop with how things progress.. Got any pictures of the problem, I'd like to see em if possible..

Pictures wouldn't show any leak it was so small.

My discharge manifold showed up today with silicone, new bolts, gaskets, o-rings and instructions on swapping the manifold. Put it together and it's fine. No leaks. Couldn't drive it yet though. I have to cut a small hole in the underside of the ram air hood so the pulley can stick up through. The pulley will be about 6'' inside the vents of the ram air hood. Should look cool anyway. I don't have a choice other than shimming down the k-member about an inch or cutting the hole in the underside of the hood.

Pictures wouldn't show any leak it was so small.

My discharge manifold showed up today with silicone, new bolts, gaskets, o-rings and instructions on swapping the manifold. Put it together and it's fine. No leaks. Couldn't drive it yet though. I have to cut a small hole in the underside of the ram air hood so the pulley can stick up through. The pulley will be about 6'' inside the vents of the ram air hood. Should look cool anyway. I don't have a choice other than shimming down the k-member about an inch or cutting the hole in the underside of the hood.

Before you cut the hood, I think it's Saleen (or Roush) that makes an engine mount that lowers the engine so their Blower will fit under the hood. I can't recall who made them right now, but I do remember reading about them a year ago or so. It may be worth asking around some.

The lowering mounts don't go far enough. I already have it finished with a nice hole inside the ram air vents trimmed out with plastic edge trim. It's kind of cool to look in there and see the pulley.

Thanks Bigcat...I'd rather not respond to that.