White Smoke On Auto Start (help) (2016 Gt)

BakerEffect

Aug 13, 2016
So I have a 2016 Mustang GT with an MBRP "Race" 3in Catback and on an auto-start I saw a good man sized plume of white smoke blow out of each exhaust at ignition. I've smelled the gas (Not sweet) and checked fluid levels (Normal) and it has been about a week since the incident. Also did a few WOT pulls with my buddies GTO following me and he said no smoke was visible from the exhausts. Havn't seen it happen since. I did leave the car idling in the parking lot for 30 minutes that morning before work. At this point I'm assuming it just burned off all the excess gas ect that was being discharged for idling that long. Any other opinions would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't think so, it's northern CA and 103 degrees out. Havnt washed the car recently either.
Doesn't really matter.

105 degrees here yesterday and I had a customer complaining about "smoke out the tailpipe on cold start". Drilled a 1/16" weep hole in the mufflers and drained a quart of water out of each. If the exhaust system doesn't have weep holes in it somewhere, condensation will collect at it's lowest point when it cools down. 103 degrees is hot to you, but it ain't :poo: to your exhaust system. You can, and will still get condensation in the system, and it will still become steam when hot exhaust gasses hit it.

If you're not losing coolant (easy, check your radiator and/or reservoir), it's condensation.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't really matter.

105 degrees here yesterday and I had a customer complaining about "smoke out the tailpipe on cold start". Drilled a 1/16" weep hole in the mufflers and drained a quart of water out of each. If the exhaust system doesn't have weep holes in it somewhere, condensation will collect at it's lowest point when it cools down. 103 degrees is hot to you, but it ain't **** to your exhaust system. You can, and will still get condensation in the system, and it will still become steam when hot exhaust gasses hit it.

If you're not losing coolant (easy, check your radiator and/or reservoir), it's condensation.

Thank you! You eased my mind significantly!

Did you ever figure out a fix?
My 2016 Mustang gt has a borla atak catback and it also blows smoke at start up.
Just a puff of whiteish smoke at start up. Car runs great though. Cant seem to make it stop. I even took off my exhaust and re installed it.
So I have a 2016 Mustang GT with an MBRP "Race" 3in Catback and on an auto-start I saw a good man sized plume of white smoke blow out of each exhaust at ignition. I've smelled the gas (Not sweet) and checked fluid levels (Normal) and it has been about a week since the incident. Also did a few WOT pulls with my buddies GTO following me and he said no smoke was visible from the exhausts. Havn't seen it happen since. I did leave the car idling in the parking lot for 30 minutes that morning before work. At this point I'm assuming it just burned off all the excess gas ect that was being discharged for idling that long. Any other opinions would be appreciated!
ut

Did you ever figure out a fix?
My 2016 Mustang gt has a borla atak catback and it also blows smoke at start up.
Just a puff of whiteish smoke at start up. Car runs great though. Cant seem to make it stop. I even took off my exhaust and re installed it.

ut
No it never stopped but it got progressively worse and I assume it is a Valve guide seal that went bad. Ford is in the process of deciding to swap the motor or dive into the heads ATM. The tech at Ford told me it is a defect effecting a number of 2016 coyotes and Ford is aware of it.