Who’s running cats?

James K

Mar 5, 2019
Pittsburgh Pa
Who’s running cats?

I’m tired of my car stinking. When I bought it the smog pump was gone. Needed a new H pipe so I got cheap and just picked up a BBK off road.

Car is running great and some how isn’t giving me a check engine light.

I would like to get some weld in cats but I don’t want to get a smog pump and all that. Everything for it is completely gone.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 23126CC7-733A-4832-A378-0D2A2988C770.jpeg
    23126CC7-733A-4832-A378-0D2A2988C770.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 76
  • F4B7F1D2-F0A7-4A2C-8DCA-5C0933955423.jpeg
    F4B7F1D2-F0A7-4A2C-8DCA-5C0933955423.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Sponsors (?)

I also hate the smell without cats. I welded in some high flow cats about 6 years ago on one of my foxes. Car has no smog pump and I have had no issues with this setup. I also have no exhaust stink.

Thanks, I did some searching around and it was looking like people said they would clog with no air pump.

I drive the car about 1,000 miles a year.

Any suggestions on what cats to get? Any weld in high flow ones are good?

Thanks

I run stock cats with smog pump right now, but after I perform my engine work this winter, I’ll be running a Bassani catted X-pipe.

I wasn’t able to get a straight answer from Bassani on if I needed the smog pump or not, but these 5.0 engines aren’t modern and don’t burn as cleanly so since this cat pipe wasn’t cheap, I plan to keep the smog pump but reroute the plumbing into the fender and down to the mid pipe.

I too got tired of the stink while driving my uncatted vert. It also stunk up the garage after a drive. I had a pair of the above mentioned universal catts welded into my UPR offroad xpipe. Got them from LMR. Fixed the smell issue. It did quieten it down just a tad but it still sounds just fine.

I have no cats , and no smell . I have an old Diablo chip. What smell is it rotten eggs or exhaust gas.

Diablo chip, that's a name I haven't heard in awhile. My salesman at Steeda was a guy named Nick Spinelli. Apparently he left to go work for Diablo. Diablo never had a great reputation in the business. If you have no smell, it's probably because that old chip is running the engine a little lean. I bet my JMS chip is older though.

Kurt

I have a 01 Cobra I bought from a guy over a month ago and had a heavy fuel smell. Found fuel tube gasket was broken replaced it but still had raw exhaust gas fuel smell. Had codes for o2 sensors so went to change the front ones and found that the car had pro chamber with a cat delete. Car has some black smoke roll out the exhaust pipes after heavy acceleration and been wondering if it's because of the cat delete. I changed the oil when I brought car home as I do with all vehicles I buy used and just give everything a once over to check for potential problems. Compression check turned out great and I've driven the car roughly around 1,000 miles since I've changed the oil and levels are still on the mark as it was when I changed the oil. Haven't pulled the valve covers but wondering if it's the valve guides letting some oil by into the valves or it's just having no cats that's giving me this smoke. Driving the car with the windows down isn't bad as it was since I got a SCT tuner but still some smoke also but not as much it use to be. Any thoughts on this? Been thinking of buying some used heads and having them reworked and putting a few more dollars into them for better quality hardware if the issue is bad valve guide seals. I think I can deal with the exhaust smell as it's not overwhelming as long as I know that the engine is healthy.

I got two outta four cats,all the smog stuff,long tube headers and loudmouth catback.I pass Nevada sniffer test every year since 2007, I drive 150 miles a week.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 01 Cobra I bought from a guy over a month ago and had a heavy fuel smell. Found fuel tube gasket was broken replaced it but still had raw exhaust gas fuel smell. Had codes for o2 sensors so went to change the front ones and found that the car had pro chamber with a cat delete. Car has some black smoke roll out the exhaust pipes after heavy acceleration and been wondering if it's because of the cat delete. I changed the oil when I brought car home as I do with all vehicles I buy used and just give everything a once over to check for potential problems. Compression check turned out great and I've driven the car roughly around 1,000 miles since I've changed the oil and levels are still on the mark as it was when I changed the oil. Haven't pulled the valve covers but wondering if it's the valve guides letting some oil by into the valves or it's just having no cats that's giving me this smoke. Driving the car with the windows down isn't bad as it was since I got a SCT tuner but still some smoke also but not as much it use to be. Any thoughts on this? Been thinking of buying some used heads and having them reworked and putting a few more dollars into them for better quality hardware if the issue is bad valve guide seals. I think I can deal with the exhaust smell as it's not overwhelming as long as I know that the engine is healthy.
you are not gonna get much advice on your particular issues here in the fox forums, our cars are not as intricately controlled as your car is. Post your issue in the sn95 tech forums to get relevant advice