Who has changed out their rear tire(size) and gear?

Ryan Paterick

Dec 4, 2001
Going from 17" to 18" rear tires and changing from 3:08's to 3:73's.

Will the 23 tooth gear get the speedometer close?

Anyone have info on this, I just don't want to drop $90.00 on a SpeedCal if I can get the speedometer within 5mph.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

5mph at what speed...100mph or at 5mph? 23 tooth is be best you can do with 3.73 as for rim size you need to get tires with the same height. With the white 23 tooth gear my speed seems to be dead on around 70mph but this is based off people paceing me so i assume it's close enough...but it should be about 10% off

Car Nut said:
SpeedCal fixes it the first time. Might be good money invested in the long run. Plus, once you own it, it's yours forever.

Once I get gears, I'm not screwing around with the pain of relacing the drive and/or rear gear. Simple and accurate. :)

That's why I have it. I can run ANY tire size I want and ANY gear ratio and have a perfectly accurate speedometer. As long as I take a few minutes to change the dip-switch settings.

Mrgreen94gt said:
That's why I have it. I can run ANY tire size I want and ANY gear ratio and have a perfectly accurate speedometer. As long as I take a few minutes to change the dip-switch settings.

Mr,

Where did you get your speedcal and how did you go about setting up the speedcal for calibrating your settings? I heard something about the manufacture needs your original settings or something?

thanks for any info!!

punestang said:
Mr,

Where did you get your speedcal and how did you go about setting up the speedcal for calibrating your settings? I heard something about the manufacture needs your original settings or something?

thanks for any info!!

I got it from Partshopper. Programming it is really easy, just unscrew the plastic cover and set the two-way switches in the proper order. I used Dallas Mustang's Speedcal calculator to find my proper setting.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/index.mvc?Session_ID=68cb0ece82abbaa5b4ee97cde6ce81d4&s=speedcal