Who's using and air/oil separator and / or Supra PCV valve

Mike92GT

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
Florida
I'm re-doing the PCV system on my car. I've heard that you can use a Supra PCV valve, which will help keep boost pressure out of the crankcase. But I don't know the part number or the year Supra it would have to come from. I also want to run an air/oil separator to keep oil out of my intake. Does anyone have a similar set-up? Pics of how you mounted your separator would be very helpful

• Sponsors (?)

I only run that stuff on the 94. A TC PCV valve is a nice OEM specific alternative. I dont recall the year of Supra valves I have heard guys use. :bang:

You can also run a brake check valve from the help section of the local parts store.

I kinda have a feeling you might want to use a heavier duty separator than the ones most of us N/A guys use. I have a rinky dink one and have removed the element altogether because it would clog after a teaspoon or so of oil had accumulated in the basin. So I now have a glorified little catchcan, and were I doing to use a catchcan alone, I would use something more robust.

I would head over to Turbomustangs. This stuff gets brought up often over there. A search should yield a ton of ideas (Jaz cans and bigger stuff like that, or parts from places like McMaster that people use).

Good luck Mike.

You want a pcv valve from a turbocharged 95 supra, don't get an n/a one. I'm running one of those on my car as well as a cheap oil seperator that is used for air compressors. They get the job done nicely.

Scott, any clogging issues with the separator element? My accumulation stopped after a bit and I removed the element and couldnt hardly blow through it. A few guys have had this issue. Just curious.

Hey, I'm not trying to threadjack but I'm wondering about this also....I just changed injectors and noticed that when I removed the intake there was oil inside of it. Is this normal? I need to check my pvc valve but it seems like there is a better choice than a stock valve.

Thanks for the info guys. Does the Supra valve fit right in the stock grommet, or will I need to modify it somehow? I'm gonna go shopping for separators tomorrow. Where's the best place to mount it?

dec322 said:
Hey, I'm not trying to threadjack but I'm wondering about this also....I just changed injectors and noticed that when I removed the intake there was oil inside of it. Is this normal? I need to check my pvc valve but it seems like there is a better choice than a stock valve.

Yeah, some oil in the intake is normal, as the PCV system will suck it up from the cranckcase. This is why I eliminated my PCV system originally, but now I'm thinking it would be better to have it in place.

Deadlast, If the carb cleaner comment was for me, I thought about it (Justin has been doing that himself with soap and water) but I would have to clean it once a week or so. I'm too lazy.

Mike, I used 1/4" NPT fittings with 3/8" barbs for the hose (I used fittings that turned 90* for a cleaner install since my separator is high on the firewall). I used hydraulic hose since I figured it wouldnt kink but fuel/Evap hose should work fine and is more mallable.

HISSIN50 said:
Scott, any clogging issues with the separator element? My accumulation stopped after a bit and I removed the element and couldnt hardly blow through it. A few guys have had this issue. Just curious.

I ditched the element before I installed the separator on my car. I didn't see any need for it being there. I too have heard of clogging issues. When I drove my car daily, I had to empty the separator about every 3 weeks, so it seems like its doing its job.

Got the separator from Home Depot. Cost a whopping $11. Here's a pic of it mounted with my home made bracket. All I need now is a motor to connect it to...

IM000035.jpg

Attachments

• IM000035.jpg
    IM000035.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 219