Why are ASC/Mclaren's so cheap?

That a Gen-u-wine R/T? Used to work for a guy who had one of those back in the 90's- a bench seat car no less (why any one would order that in an R/T is anyone's guess). He bought it from the original owner for $1200 because it had a bad oil pressure sending unit and their mechanic was trying to convince them it needed a total rebuild so they sold it. Totally unmolested original car... unfortunately the ugliest bronze/beige color in the catalog. Still had the old handicapped sticker on the bumper Cali used before the special license plates.
Yes its the real deal.. I have owned it for 31 years and did a rotisserie resto on it after I trailered it out of the field it was in, circa 90. One of 196, 67 RT convertibles built..... Its for sale if anyone is interested.... 40K
DSCF0791.JPG
DSCF0790.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I fully get that part of it, but given his description of their age when he bought the car (it would have been about 20 years old at the time) they were no spring chickens in 1967.
I was a senior in High School when I had this car ( look at the picture date on the left side border of the pic) and it had a bench seat and was a 4 speed car..... Different times and Mopar was " unique"..LOL
This was the factory 440 "six pack" 69 super bee car, nowadays called the A12, as that was the option # to order one...... Fiberglass lift off hood, tri power ( six pack), 440 engine, with a hemi ( 18 spline) 4 speed, Dana 9 3/4 rear end.. The only thing in this picture NOT from the factory were the Cragars.....
DSCF0175.JPG

This car is worth around 100K in todays market, alot more than the $700 I sold it for during the first "GAS shortage" in 1974....
And it had a bench seat.......

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
@limp - OR, instead of selling, you could start your own collection:

1623341346923.png

Edit: just checked that dealership's website, they have it listed at $24555.

@limp - OR, instead of selling, you could start your own collection:

1623341346923.png

Edit: just checked that dealership's website, they have it listed at $24555.

NOT an RT... HUGE difference.... This would be your "bench" seat mom and pop car.....

NOT an RT... HUGE difference.... This would be your "bench" seat mom and pop car.....
No, it's not an RT. It's also not a 67, but it was kinda weird how it popped up in FB Marketplace right after I left this page to scroll through there. And it's pretty close to being an older sibling car, it could be the start of a collection if you were so inclined. ;) On the good side of things, it's a 383 4 speed car and not some run of the mill 318 or something.... :shrug:

I had a buddy in high school that had a 69 Coronet that had a 318. That was just one of many other Mopar cars he had back then, kinda made a lot of us in our little group a little jealous, especially the 72 or 73 340 Challenger he had. :drool:

No, it's not an RT. It's also not a 67, but it was kinda weird how it popped up in FB Marketplace right after I left this page to scroll through there. And it's pretty close to being an older sibling car, it could be the start of a collection if you were so inclined. ;) On the good side of things, it's a 383 4 speed car and not some run of the mill 318 or something.... :shrug:

I had a buddy in high school that had a 69 Coronet that had a 318. That was just one of many other Mopar cars he had back then, kinda made a lot of us in our little group a little jealous, especially the 72 or 73 340 Challenger he had. :drool:
I missed that one... Its a 66..... I failed the Mopar test...LOL....
No more collections or garage queens here... My truck and the mustang is what I am whittling down to....
Oh, the Black Bitch can stay....
DSCF0211.JPG

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Lol. Got my '94 in April and I don't think I drove with top up until October. But then again, I was 22 and it is SoCal after all. Thing about Mopars is everything was sharp. I moved to the beach in college and didn't want my '68 GT/CS getting messed (which of course got stolen down there, hence the '94 vert as a replacement) so I bought this $200 '66 Dart GT as a daily... and every angle, every handle, arm rest, knob, it was all sharp. It just seemed odd that the surfaces you would be bouncing off of in an accident seemed to be inspired by a meat tenderizer.

Tell ya what though, that old slant six would spin the right rear tire like nobody's business with just the right touch on the brake pedal... of course it would also change lanes if you taped the brakes on the freeway, so there might have been a gremlin or two I didn't bother to work out ;)

Lol. Got my '94 in April and I don't think I drove with top up until October. But then again, I was 22 and it is SoCal after all. Thing about Mopars is everything was sharp. I moved to the beach in college and didn't want my '68 GT/CS getting messed (which of course got stolen down there, hence the '94 vert as a replacement) so I bought this $200 '66 Dart GT as a daily... and every angle, every handle, arm rest, knob, it was all sharp. It just seemed odd that the surfaces you would be bouncing off of in an accident seemed to be inspired by a meat tenderizer.

Tell ya what though, that old slant six would spin the right rear tire like nobody's business with just the right touch on the brake pedal... of course it would also change lanes if you taped the brakes on the freeway, so there might have been a gremlin or two I didn't bother to work out ;)
I had a 76 Dart Swinger with a slant 6. I paid $150 for it. I changed the oil when I first got it and nothing came out. I added some diesel to the oil and knocked the engine a couple of times, then drained the oil and watched molasses come out. I ran that car for 3 or 4 years until the rest of the car fell apart.

Reactions: 1 user