Why are the gas tanks offset to one side?

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
Can anyone tell me why the gas tanks are offset? Meaning one side is closer to the leaf springs... stupid question but I was just thinking outloud as I am fabing up the exhaust. Is it because of balance with the spare to one side???

• Sponsors (?)

If that's the case they moved it to the wrong side. Contrary to popular believe, optimum performance/traction/handling was not the nr 1 priority in the Mustang's design :D

I think the spare tire mounting space is a more likely reason.

Maybe vi have to look at the original Mustang....the early Falcons! They were all 6cyl with single exhaust! The engineers was not thinking that dual exhaust would be an option later, but moved the tank away from the hot exhaust pipe. Maybe that's the reason? :)

Maybe vi have to look at the original Mustang....the early Falcons! They were all 6cyl with single exhaust! The engineers was not thinking that dual exhaust would be an option later, but moved the tank away from the hot exhaust pipe. Maybe that's the reason? :)

I think this is the most plausible answer so far. :nice:

I agree. Although I am really wanting to move the tank over the 1" to center it. Time/common sense vs. PITA factor. I am just leaving it alone and going with 2.5" tails. :rlaugh: Thanks for the help with my really stupid question.