Wife wants a 64-66 'Stang...

My wife has wanted a classic Mustang for years.. and I promised I'd get her one for her 40th birthday,.. which is still 2 years away, but I want to start gathering info/data now so I can keep an active eye out for the 'right' car for her.. I'm currently working on restifying my own project car ('71 Dodge Dart), so I also need to complete that within the next 2 years before getting her a Mustang.

So, I don't know much about classic Mustangs (personally, I prefer the '69 bodystyle, but this car is for her ) .. so I don't know what options/engines/transmissions/rearends were available in what years, don't know the weak points, etc .. looking for some guidance.

here's what I know..

She prefers the early body styles, 1964.5 through 1966 (was '67 different?)
She doesn't want high performance
She wants an automatic
She would really like A/C (was this an option back then?)

So, I know I'm looking for one with a straight six, automatic... now, is A/C even realistic? can it be found?

Any problems with these engines or the drivetrain that's associated with them? should I look for a V8 even though she prefers not to have one? I figured I could keep the cost down by finding a 6 cylinder...

Did they have front disc brakes back then?

Thanks for the help..

Also, any other places to keep an eye out besides Craigslist and ebay?

She prefers the early body styles, 1964.5 through 1966 (was '67 different?)

Yes 67 is a different body style

She would really like A/C (was this an option back then?)

Yes it was, not sure if it was available on the 6 bangers tho

Also, any other places to keep an eye out besides Craigslist and ebay?

cars.com? i've found some decently priced ones there a few times

are u looking for a coupe or a fastback? fastbacks are more expensive.

thanks guys.. I know the fastbacks are more $$ .. and while I know she would LOVE one of those, I (and she) understand that a coupe is a more affordable (and easier to find) way to go, and she's cool with that too.. I hadn't considered Cars.com.. I'll have to check it out

I would look at 289-powered cars. This doesn't really violate her wish that she doesnt have a 'high performance' engine... they aren't particularly powerful (stock) compared to todays cars (a new v6 accord will beat, fairly easily, just about any stock 65-66 mustang in just about every performance category).

The 289 has enough power that it won't have any trouble passing, merging, etc... 6 bangers (do they even push triple digit horsepower) can sort of have issues with that. The 6 bangers are reknowned for their reliability, for what thats worth, but both will get very similar mileage. I would go for a 289 car if you were looking at 65-66s. Cheap 289 and 6 cylinder cars aren't going to differ much in initial price, but after restorations the 289 car will be worth considerably more. Plus, they just sound (and look, heh) better