Will 88 LX Flowmaster exhaust bolt up to my 85 GT?

NOSLO5.0

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2000
Just outside your window
Need some quick help from the experts. Just picked up a 4 eye Capri. I have a guy that is selling a complete header back exhaust (off road H pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, all pipes, hangers and LX tailpipes) for cheap. Will this bolt up to my 85 GT? 5.0, 5 spd. Thought there might be some issue with the tranny cross member. The vehicle does have a true dual exhaust now with high flow cats. But is a little "rigged". Would like some input please......

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need 86+ headers.

The '85's have unique headers where one has a flapper valve in it to help the car warm up. I beleive the collector is an odd shape.

Either way, you'll need to pick up a set of 86+ headers....which are pretty cheap to get.

Also, you'll need a double-hump crossmemeber. You can cut the H-pipe hangers off and not use them or buy the correct AOD or T-5 crossmember exhaust hanger for it.

For the mufflers, you'll need to unbolt the old body hangers and put in 86+ hangers. The '85's are shaped like spoons. You'll also need 86+ exhaust rubbers....4 of them.

Actually, the '85 headers are the same as the later ones. They've got heat shields welded to them to direct warm air into the air cleaner during start up, but otherwise they're the exact same header. (i've got a set hanging in my garage along with the original headers from my '87 Mustang)

The rest of the exhaust is as TheUser and Mustang5L5 stated.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Actually, the '85 headers are the same as the later ones. .

One header is.

The other one has a flapper valve and needs to be replaced. I beleive it's the driver's side header.

I have an '85 GT as well. It's torn down right now and i'm thinking of selling the shell off and scrapping that project.

Anyway, there was defintely a vacuum-actuated flapper valve in one header. I asked around, and it was an 1985-only part.

Thanks for all the help! I can get the factory headers and full exhaust for $100. I will have to find the hangers I guess. Shouldn't be to hard. I do believe I have the double hump already. The previous owner installed a T-5 tranny and I think I saw on under there. Will update once I get it and have a chance to see what is up. Thanks again guys....

When i put exhaust on mine it had a flapper on it. The h-pipe wouldnt bolt up because the header was actually to small for the 2 1/2 inch h-pipe. and we bolted the rest of the hangers on except the one on the passenger side tailpipe we welded a holder on and works fine now