Will A 2015/16 Mustang Fit Into A 67 Dynacorn Shell?

adventurous1

Mar 19, 2016
Hey ALL;

Looking to purchase a totaled newer mustang w/ IRS and wondering if the parts will transfer besides the engine / trans. Yes, "with time and money we can accomplish anything" - lol but just looking for some insight.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Looking at different options / routes. Redo an original, go the dynacorn way, use roadster shop chassis, or a Schwartz. chassis. Emailed Retrobuild. They do an fantastic build of a '69 Fastback shell-ish Boss w/ a 2013 Mustang but their '69 Shelby convt's rear end doesn't look good 'to me'. Excellent build - just not me. So I want to know if their bodies will fit the new '15/'16's w/ IRS, etc. etc. And, if they can do a '67 or '68 convt shelby.

Anyway, asking lots of questions and doing lots of research for which avenue will work best. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Garrett;

yup they do. Spoke w/ Schwatz, the engine / trans is about the only thing I can use from a totaled 15/16 GT. Waiting to her if the dash can be modded to fit. So, probably looking at AME or RS full chassis w/o the final wheels. Then may have it trailered 400-ish ,miles from RS to Thoroughbred International, then have 'em build a 67 /68 convert shell to fit the chassis. Will not the need the shell's front clip (just the fender aprons) and the towers will be eliminated - they weld in a complete floor, etc., etc. then place a basic minimal shell w/ shelby tail light set up on the chassis. This way, I won't have to purchase a full 'new' shell, and start cutting pieces to re-weld. May save an abundance of time, and of course $$$. And, it will be built to fit. I'll also have them hang the doors. Still weighing out options.

The people from Retrobuild called, and 'yes' the can do a 67/68 convt onto a 15/16 GT. I'll need to see renditions because they have no pix of 67/ 68 convt. - and their 69 shelby - though beautiful done - is not my taste. The ass end looks kinda funky. So, we'll see.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
saw a '67 FB with a 09 5.4 S/C and the 6 speed, the IRS, everything in it(literally the inside looked just like an 09 shelby)... he started with the K member and worked his way back, he narrowed the dash to fit, even the headliner and upper console was out of the 09,
option 1
you'll need to narrow the shock towers to fit the coyote, and widen the trans tunnel to fit the trans, you can use everything, but it requires heavy modifications to the body.
basically start with the K Member and narrowed(but reinforced) shock towers, get your suspension on the front and work your way back. that way your steering will be easier to set up, use everything from the 15/16 on the front, you'll have to modify or build a trans crossmember... then work on the 4 link rear, definitely get subframe connectors. then all youll have to do is get the drive shaft shortened and youre right as rain.

option 2
go with a MII style suspension/steering, eliminate shock towers all together, reinforce frame to firewall, get the right motor mounts and viola, the coyote will drop right in. then you still have to widen the trans tunnel, and implement the 4 link which has been done 1000000 times.

keep in mind the newer mustangs still use the shock tower setup but the dimensions are different, you CAN use the AJE set up, and use SN95 suspension and steering. but i dont think AJE has it set up for the late model yet. its all personal preference, im between MII and the AJE set up right now myself.