will i need a tune? (asked a lil different)

stangster50

Nov 19, 2006
cranston ri
i can get some 351w heads, e-cam, f-cam. pretty cheep. if i ported the upper intake and a lil head porting, with all this stuff, what else would have to be done? im not trying to destroy my engine.
can i install this stuff safely, have it run properly, and not need a tune? ireally wanna keep my fi. wont the computer compensate if its running too lean/rich?

by the way. its a 92' t-bird engine/computer. (sn-style i believe)

would i have to upgrade anything else, like injectors/tb that sort of thing? i thought i did. and i thought if i did i would have to tune so the computer knew i was now running bigger injectors/tb...exc... but if i can get away with porting the stock intake,351 ported heads with bigger valves, and a cam without tuning that is what i would like to do. i dont mind if i didnt get the absolute max, because i didnt tune. i just dont want to harm the engine..

i realize i posted a similar thread, but i thought it through more this time so i changed it a bit. i also posted in the fox forum at first, but then i thought that the engine/computers are a lil different.. so plz dont be mad at me.:(

thank you guys for taking the time to help a confused person out..

• Sponsors (?)

Your guess is as good as ours as to whether or not it'll run correctly. You have a T-Bird computer in your Mustang? You probably wouldn't destroy your engine with that combo and no tune, but it wouldn't necessarily have peak performance, and may have some surging with the F cam.

thats ok cuz ill prolly use the e-cam. f-cam just comes with the package. this setup was run on a 302 before. but it was carb'd. the computer and engine came from a 92 t-bird 5.0ho. so it is pretty much the same as the s-n. i just want to make sure i wont do any damage to the engine without a tune..

so i can run this setup with stock injectors, tb. and mass air? i wont run lean? sorry im just kinda paranoid, and i dont really have the cash for the tweecer but i can get this great deal on these parts, and the motor is already out of the car..

if your swaping up to 24lb injectors youll probably need some sort of tuning device with all that stuff

without that the only thing that might get wacky is the idle from the cam. you can bump that up with no tune tho. i dunno how tbird ecu's like mods tho

ok. so i guess i will wait on this for now. until i can afford the tweecer.

now if i ported the stock intake, and the stock heads would i need a tune then? would i still need bigger injectors, even though the valves are still the same size? if i went this route i wouldnt be adding the cam. i know im going to at least port the stock intake. i just dont know if porting the heads is going to throw me off the edge or not. 19#'rs should be enough right?

you should be fine with the setup you listed. it wont hurt the engine. i still run stock injectors and maf with no tune. i would think you would be better off with a mustang pcm but i really cant say. was the t bird an HO motor?

its not just just about running lean its duty cycle also. I was going through this same debate for my combo a few weeks ago, and a very knowledge person on this site brought up a good point, ford put 24 #ers in the cobra, and believe me it was for a reason. Since cobras only cam with like 40 more hp. Your combo will probably be putting out about the same. So it seems necessary to me. with no cam you ll probably be alright.

if your tearing the block down far enough to take the heads off it seems like a waste of time and effort to just port heads they really dont give you all that much gain and the stock intake is pretty restrictive....i dont think you will notice much of a gain at all.

its not just just about running lean its duty cycle also. I was going through this same debate for my combo a few weeks ago, and a very knowledge person on this site brought up a good point, ford put 24 #ers in the cobra, and believe me it was for a reason. Since cobras only cam with like 40 more hp. Your combo will probably be putting out about the same. So it seems necessary to me. with no cam you ll probably be alright.

im a lil confused with your answer... so what you are saying is. if i port the stock intake, and the stock heads i should be fine with no tune as long as i dont get a cam. so i should be safe with stock injectors, and everything too?

i think everyone is getting pissed at me:(

i dont think they are getting pissed they are probley just trying to show you to get that far intoy our motor you dont wanna cheap out...ported heads arent that great. and if you get it all apart and rebuilt then your not satisfied then your back to square 1...so i would wait till you can afford a cam and a tune and go from there