Brakes Wilwood 5-lug Conversion

89five.o

Jul 8, 2005
Does anybody have experience with these Wilwood brakes (11 in rotor front/ 11 in rotor rear) versus the more common Cobra swaps with 94-95 spindles? I haven't found any Foxbodies that use them. I was considering these along with the Square 18x9 Saleen wheel package from LMR. Any thoughts or pictures would be appreciated.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...&model=Mustang&option=V-8+Spindle+Only,+5+lug

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear.aspx?itemno=140-11396-D

brake_kit_140-11018-D-lg.jpg

brake_kit_140-11396-D-lg.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If your talking about the stickies in the tech/how to they are research/info threads, if you are planning to do the wilwood swap then document it with pics and include any problems and fixes. Give it a snappy title with some tags and someone looking can find it with a google search, it could even end up in the stickies, but that will cost ya.
Ya got any gt40 tubular intakes?

If your talking about the stickies in the tech/how to they are research/info threads, if you are planning to do the wilwood swap then document it with pics and include any problems and fixes. Give it a snappy title with some tags and someone looking can find it with a google search, it could even end up in the stickies, but that will cost ya.
Ya got any gt40 tubular intakes?

lolol

25806h.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
While I don't mind wildwood products (I actually like them, you get a lot for your money, usually), why would you want 11 inch brakes with 18 inch wheels?
The brakes are going to look just as small as the stock 11's. Which I know from experience, looks way undersized.

Also, once you goto all custom parts you don't have simple off the shelf solutions in the future for repair or replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
All great points. I was concerned about all of the items you've just mentioned as well. I certainly prefer 13" rotors out front. If I were to go the 94-95 spindle/Cobra Brake route what would be my best option? I'm looking for something that looks good and performs well. I know that LMR has the SVE conversion but I don't like that they use 96-04 spindles.

What do you intend to do with the car? I like the WIlwood brake setup as it looks badass, but agree about getting a setup that uses off-the-shelf parts. But that's really your call.

The Wilwood brakes tend to be more drag-oriented. They feature lightweight components and smaller diameter rotors to fit inside most drag wheel setups. You'll get great stopping power at the end of a 120MPH run, but heat will build over repeated stops, so they aren't the best for an AutoX or road race sort of car.

So since you appear to still be on the fence, I ask the question of what is your intention with the car? Street cruiser? Do yourself a favor and build an SN95-based setup. That way 5 years from now if you need a new hub, you can go to your local parts store and grab one.

I drive the car most of the Summer just cruising around or on fun runs through the local windy roads. I'm not into drag racing, but enjoy the twisties and will probably take it to the occasional HPDE event at Mid-Ohio. SN95 setup does sound more appealing honestly. The guy who is doing the work didn't sound like he was too thrilled with the plates used in back for the SN95 swap, but the Wilwood setup requires something similar for the front brakes anyway. If I have about $3000-$3500 to play with, what kind of SN95 setup could I pull together?

If I have about $3000-$3500 to play with, what kind of SN95 setup could I pull together?

More than enough. Full Cobra 13" front, 11.65" rear setup and you could spring for things like 2-peice rotors, powdercoated calipers or even find yourself a set of 2000 Cobra R brembo calipers for the front (needed 18" wheels or specific 17" wheels). Really, biggest question is out back if you go for the Fox-length axles (to fit 9" or wider rear wheels) or SN95 length axles.

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html
(options for fox-length axles out back as well as front setups)

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/fms-m-2300-k.pdf

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-2300-x

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-2300-m
(M-2300-M kit would be needed if you decide to use SN95 length axles out back)

Sorry Willwood but I would go the Ford route again in a heart beat and twice on Sunday. Proven, takes the eliments and designed for heavier Mustangs and booster and MS can be matched just like the OEM.

Another thing to consider I wonder if that front bearing pack from Willwood will take a hard track day like a Ford designed wheel bearing?

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't mind this setup on my car :)

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-ra...m_term=1101206496806&utm_content=All Products

There does come a point when (insert opinion here) I wonder if a brake setup is simply too powerful for a Fox Mustang. Keep in mind, these cars are VERY light, don't have ABS, and have relatively small wheel wells limiting the size of tires that can be run. With all that in mind, would you feel comfortable with the above brake setup on the highway, in a rainstorm in a panic stop situation?

I usually apply such logic to rear brakes on the Fox. You really don't need much brake back there and usually find yourself turning down the rear knee-point to keep the rear from locking in a panic stop.

I really like that 2000 Cobra R front setup. Let me see what it would cost to run that with some matching slotted 11.65s for the rear and black powdercoated calipers. That 15" front is WAY more than what I need haha.

I think the cobra brembo's are nice, I just don't like the price.
$1300 for just the calipers and rotors...
You could possibly acquire all the parts necessary to do the entire car with pbr cobra's on 94/95 spindles and gt/v6 rears for that much money.

I'll have a sit down with the builder to discuss soon. Says that there are some disadvantageous of the Cobra swap that I should be aware of. Also, he's not big on the brackets from North Race Cars and having to use shims to center the calipers. Says that for this swap, to do it right I should get some Strange axles and use their bracket along with 9" ends.

B1706MC-B1706MCC.jpg

It all depends on what you are ultimately building the car for. Do you seriously intend to build the car to actively run an HDPE event and that's what you'd like to prep for? Than I'd probably be against using the shims as well. If you are building primarity for street cruising, you shouldn't have much of an issue really.

You might want to ask @MFE92 about his setup as he regular road tracks his car and I think he's been using a standard Cobra setup. Main disadvantage I know of is that the Cobra calipers can be prone to caliper spread under intense braking usually associated with HDPE events. The C5 and C6 caliper are supposedly an improvement in stiffness, but I've often read about the C5 guys experiencing it as well.

In terms of street cruising though, my C5 front/Cobra rear setup has been great.

I went the route of notched SN95 brake brackets on the rear mounted on the inside of the axle flange. Custom 33 spline Moser axles fox length with the SN95 hat and Strange C clip elimanator. No shims. If you don't like shims, maybe sell your car and buy a track specific factory built car:confused:. Sounds like your builder loves to spend other people's money or builds only really high end stuff:cool:.