Wilwood Brakes and TCP Suspension

SuperSnake428

Jul 18, 2006
I am planning on installing Willwood disc brakes all around and the TCP coil over suspension up front. I am worried about the brakes pushing out the offset since I would like to avoid getting rims with custom back offsets. I am planning on running the biggest tires I can fit without having to tub or cut up the car. I believe that this is 17x8 up front with 245/40/17 tires. In the rear, 17x9.5 with 275/40/17 rubber.

Wilwood makes a zero offset kit which sounds like a great idea but it requires the 71-73 spindles. Will those pose any problems with the TCP coil over suspension?

Also, I couldn't really tell if Wilwood made zero-offset for the rear disc setup.

Thanks,
Drew

• Sponsors (?)

What's the backspace of the wheels???

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine in swapping to the 71-3 spindles if you must. The ball joints that attach to the arms are the same. However, the outer tie rods might have to be changed. I'm not sure of the diameter of the pin on the 71-3 outer tie rod to the spindle?

Any particular reason you must have the Wilwoods? It seems like a lot of work to keep with that brand.

SSBC makes the 4 piston Kelsey Hayes style calipers and are very period correct for the application! They don't change the offset.

As Jay stated, there are no issues with the 71-73 spindles other than the outer tie rod and larger bearing size. If you have a '68-69 disc brake spindle we also have a 'small bearing' version of the 13" zero offset brake kit. If you have to buy spindles go with the later large bearing version. We now stock the later spindles, powder coated in silver.

Here are the data sheets for the brake kits. There may be some useful diagrams in the documents. Most of this information is available in the TCP catalog. Direct links to the data sheets will eventually be posted to the website.

Front Wilwood 13" Brake Data Sheet
Rear Wilwood Brake Data Sheet

Max. Tire/Wheel Sizes (Check Dodgestang's Site for a more detailed chart.)
1967 - 1973 Mustangs
Front: 17x8 4.5 245/40R17
Rear: 17x9.5 6.5 295/40R17

You can get any of these items through Mustang Depot but I'm not sure if they made it onto the website yet. You may have to call to order.

Which brake kit are you going to use? If you use the 4 piston Dynalites, there is also a spindle option from a Granada and not a Mustang with zero offset.

Since the offset would change with Mustang Spindles, I opted for the six piston 13" rotor and it spaced them out even more than the standard 4 piston, but that was OK. I can now use late model Mustang wheels with the deeper backspacing on the front and standard on the rear axle. You can also choose the spacer option on the rear for late model wheels.

BTW, you should have no issues with the TCP setup, I didn't.