Window tint - DIY or pay a shop???

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Just wondering whether i should pay a shop to tint my drivers window and 1/4 window, or try it myself. i'm leaning towards a shop, since i have heard of, and seen, a lot of bad DIY tint jobs. I also want the tint to match with the rest of the windows, which might not be easy with off the shelf stuff anyways.

Also, is it easier with the windows out of the car (which they are now) or does it really matter?

• Sponsors (?)

Pay the pros and get it done right. It's well worth the money. IIRR i paid around $350 to get my Jeep done which is a little pricey but i've had it 4 years and it still looks like it was done yesterday.

if you know someone you can get it done for around 100.00

a shop will charge around 200 + or -

:jaw: Are these prices just for the 2 windows? or a complete job? I just need the 2 drivers side windows done, the rest already has professional tint.

oh for those who may not know why i need new tint on only 2 windows.... :mad:
2591090_87_full.jpg

i tried tinting the windows on my supercoupe...after 20 mins i gave up no matter what air bubble i worked out another would pop up!.

pay someone who knows what to do!

:jaw: Are these prices just for the 2 windows? or a complete job? I just need the 2 drivers side windows done, the rest already has professional tint.

oh for those who may not know why i need new tint on only 2 windows.... :mad:
2591090_87_full.jpg

complete job.

But I took my yukon in for 2 windows and he wanted 35 per window. I decided to leave em clear lol

If you have never tinted windows before I would take it someone.

It took me several tries before I felt comfortable doing a job for a customer, that was with a expert training me. You need a nice clean shop, because dirt can easily get trapped in between an you not notice it until it is too late. Plus if it is not prepped and finished correctly you will start to see bubbles where it will start to come back up after several months.

Since you already have the windows out take them to them, it maysave you a little money. Just a guess but for 2 windows already out probably around a $100 to $125, maybe a little less in some areas. And take them a old one even though it is broken, so they can get close to matching what you currently have.

I have tinted before, but the pros use tint that you can't find on the shelf at the auto parts store. Better quality and looks good when done, Mine was $170 for sides and back, but that has been about 8 yrs ago now.

Coming from someone else who had the windows out of the car, and still did a **** job, just take it to someone else. No matter how much time you spend keeping things clean, and trying to do it properly, it comes out looking like ass compared to something professional.

When I finally get the Notch's windows tinted, I'll most likely have it done at a shop. The back window just seems like it would be too much of a PITA. A hatch might not be so bad so, the Capri might get the DIY treatment.

:eek: Who did it? Do you know? And if you do, are they still living? If so, why??? :mad:

not a clue. there's an old thread about what happened here in talk if you care.... i think it's called "guess what i got for my birthday" or something like that.

basically, Dec. 23, (my Birthday!!!) i went to do some last minute xmas shopping for the gf at the mall. got out of the car at 5:30, back to the car at 6:05, as the mall closed at 6 (which i didn't know). don't know who or why. nothing was taken, but i'm guessing it's cuz my alarm went off. & the cops said they don't show up for this kind of thing so i'm SOL.