Winter / backup vehicle

Wolvrin704

Apr 17, 2007
Milford, OH
Sometime next year I will be attempting to sell my 97 F150 4x4 and then purchase a more reliable vehicle for the winter. Since I love to look for a long time before deciding on what I want I thought I would get some opinions. The current truck just needs to get me through this winter and then it'll be time to shine her up and put her on the selling block.

Here is a list of prerequisites:

1. I prefer not to get another F150. I love my truck but I've had more problems with it than I can count. Its been a cesspool of repair spending.

2. Has to be under $10K.

3. Actually looking at SUV's more than trucks.

4. Not real particular on maker but not a Dodge/Chrysler fan. I'm fine with import makes too.

5. Would prefer to get something big enough I could get a sheet of plywood in it.

6. Must have 4x4 or all-wheel drive.

7. If possible list possible issues that particular vehicles are known for (i.e. F150's have a horrible charging system that is costly to repair).

Right now my main contender is <GASP> Chevy Tahoe. But thought I'd ask the opinion of the best car experts I know (just need to remember where I saw them....j/k).

• Sponsors (?)

Explorer or Expedition.

I love my Explorer. Just wish I would have gotten the V8. There are times when I wish I had the size of the Expedition but for most of my uses and when the wife needs to drive it it is great.

I got my 2003 just before the $4.00 gas prices people hadn't slashed SUV and truck prices yet and I got a it with 70K miles and super clean for $9,900.

+1 on the Jeep Cherokee, I bought a 94 sport this past July. The Cherokee is so much fun with the 4.0 I6 and with 112,000 on her she is just getting broken in. These engines will run to 300k+ with little problems. The jeep is light and fast for an suv. I also get an average of around 20mpg. One thing to remember if you get a jeep the mod bug will kick in. I have already put a bigger TB in, removed the air silencer and put a K&N in. You can find real nice Cherokees for under 5k. If you are going to get one look for 1991-1999, the 2000-2001 had head cracking issues. All the 1991-2001 Cherokees made the same HP and the 1997 on up are more modern looking inside and out.

+1 those things are usually pretty damn reliable. You must have gotten a lemon:shrug: The only time i really ever saw them come in the shop was for basic maintenance

Everytime I talk to a mechanic about issues I'm having they guess its an F150. My brother-in-law owns his own shop and has seen a number of this stuff, if only I lived closer than 400 miles away he'd be my mechanic.

Let me give you the laundry list, I've owned it for 10 years now.

BTW, I've got almost 180,000 on it and the engine still runs failry well.

Stripped one of the spark plugs early on.
Replaced the link holding the stabilzer bar 3 times now, 2x driver side and once on passenger side.
Replaced the alternator 2x.
Replaced the starter 2x.
Replaced the AC 2 years ago and it has quit again, at $900 its not getting replaced again.
Have replaced the positive batter cable 3x and negative battery cable 2x, at almost $200 for a new cable that has really added up. These things constantly corrode at the connecting end to the starter.
Replaced the wiring harness for the alternator.
Replaced rotors and pads every 2 years and the drivers side is a pain to get off.
The 4x4 doesn't work, going to replace the solenoids and see if that works, if its the differential its staying broke. A vehicle worth less than $4000 isn't getting any repairs over $1000 and I just did $600 worth of repairs on the brakes.
Replaced tie rods on both sides.
Replaced pittman arm on drivers side.
Replaced the exhaust 3x.
The manifolds have leaks due to rusting apart at the crossover, but I'm not about to pay big $$$ to replace them. Theres no way those bolts come off the truck easily with breaking and they were known to do so when these trucks were new.
Been allot of other nickle and dime stuff I can't think of right now, but the biggest problem to me has been the charging system; alternator, starter, battery cables and wiring harnesses.

On the good side I haven't had to touch the tranny, the engine for the most part has done well although anytime the plugs are changed can be an experience with wires popping off. But at this point rust is really starting to set in and I'm very tired of having to put so much work and $$$ into something thats not reliable, has so many miles and just isn't worth much anymore.

Another pro for another F150 or Expedition is that I'm already very familiar with the lineup. Also having owned a first year vehicle maybe I just am seeing those issues and many of them were addressed later on.

New list for winter vehicle:

Chevy Tahoe
Ford Explorer
Jeep Cherokee (what about the Grand Cherokee?)

2001-2002 infiniti QX4

those are the years with the 3.5L v6. it moves and is really nice. and you can get them with decent miles for under 10g these days

The Infiniti would be nice, sorry didn't read your reply at first so didn't add to my list. My wife has an I30 and I've been very impressed with it and the ease of working on it. For instance I replaced the starter and the first time doing it took me about 1.5 hours. I could do it again in about 1/2 hour now as it is easily accesible from the top of the engine.