Wish me luck guys, started on my H/C/I project

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
Well I already have the intake. But I started a little under an hour ago to pull everything apart. I'm about to pull the lower plenum now, and I've only broken one part. My FPR hose that goes to the intake. Oh well, somethings are bound to break. I'm sure I'll be whoring the tech section this weekend with lots a questions!!

The task doesn't seem near as daunting with the intake off, LOTS of room in there now! :D

• Sponsors (?)

All right guys, I got some problems.

1) How do I get the 2 fuel lines disconnected from the fuel rail? That piece of s*** disconnect tool doesn't work, it's to small. Will they just pull off if I try hard enough?

2) How do the connections come off the alternator? Do they just pull off? I need to remove the alternator, and can't get the connections loose.

Thanks!!! I might not be able to get pics up until I'm done cus I'm working on it at my dad's shop, and crashing at my friend's house tonight and tomorrow night both. He doesn't have a computer.

CManT1914 said:
All right guys, I got some problems.

1) How do I get the 2 fuel lines disconnected from the fuel rail? That piece of s*** disconnect tool doesn't work, it's to small. Will they just pull off if I try hard enough?

2) How do the connections come off the alternator? Do they just pull off? I need to remove the alternator, and can't get the connections loose.

Thanks!!! I might not be able to get pics up until I'm done cus I'm working on it at my dad's shop, and crashing at my friend's house tonight and tomorrow night both. He doesn't have a computer.

1.)No you need the disconect tools remember two diiferent diameters if you cut them let me know I will tell you how to fix but just dont do it if you can avoid it because you will still need the disconnect tool anyways (dont ask).

2.)two clips and a nut

i just finished taking the stock intake off about an hour ago. i just left the fuel lines hooked up and just moved the rails to the passanger side with the injectors still in the rails. no need to touch the alternator.

I had to remove my alt to get myvalve covers off. It's 2 clips that have plastic (easily breakable) latches. And a 10 mm bolt under the spark plug looking thingy.

I couldn't get my FP lines off either so I just put the rail on the side. Good luck! I am doing my engine swap tomorrw!

The trick to disconnecting the lines is to understand how they work. There are pics on this site on how to disconnect them.

You see the chrome "doughnut". That pulls out. So when you are leaning over the passenger side fender, you need to put the tool on the right side of the chrome doughnut. It pulls out.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bitch. But don't pull on the black fuel line like I did and streach the fuel lines.
Scott

LOL, I am doing the same project right along with you Chris. I have my heads off (nearly), and am pulling the balancer/timing chain/cam tomorrow morning. Then I start my rebuild.

Anyway, I had a heck of a time with my fuel lines too. The tool just didn't seem to be doing anything. I ended up pushing the tool into the fitting as hard as I could about 3 times, and nothing. Then I tried again, this time giving a light (like only feather light) pull on the other end of the lines. It slid off so easily I couldn't believe it. Once you get the tool in and disengage the spring, it should come right off.

I had the fuel lines double time, because I swapped the fuel pump too. 2 more lines. Same story there too. Really hard, until I got the tool lined up just right, and they came right off too. (Got really pissed both times, before I got them out)

Here is a trick that has worked well for me. I noticed that EVERY electrical connector has one or two little clips that seem designed to break with the slightest touch. I took a wire hanger, bent a little curve at the end, and made a handle with some more of it. I bent the curve with needle nose pliers. That makes a good tool to release the clips.

Good luck with everything!!

All right guys, update:

Still couldn't get the damn fuel lines off, said screw it and left it sitting on the passenger fender. Got the alternator off, got the p/s bracket off, and only 1 more bolt on the alternator bracket to go. Only problem is, it's the one behind the tensioner, and you can't get a straight angle on it, so it started to round off. I said f*** it, we'll try it later. I figured once we get the timing cover/chain off we can get it straight on. Got the valve covers off, and all the rockers/pushrods/lifters. Got the fan and radiator and a/c condensor out. Still gotta get the hood latch and pony out of the grill for the cam to slide out. I think that's about it. I just got back to the shop, I'm gonna go pull the timing cover and chain off so I can get that alternator bracket bolt off. Then I'll pull the heads. I need a gear puller to get the timing gears off don't I? I forgot to get one. :bang:

EDIT: Oh yea, I forgot to mention I did finally get the alternator wiring off. I had to pull the valve cover off first to get to the bolt that held one of the cables on. The other two clips I finally got off too.

CManT1914 said:
All right guys, update:

Still couldn't get the damn fuel lines off, said screw it and left it sitting on the passenger fender. Got the alternator off, got the p/s bracket off, and only 1 more bolt on the alternator bracket to go. Only problem is, it's the one behind the tensioner, and you can't get a straight angle on it, so it started to round off. I said f*** it, we'll try it later. I figured once we get the timing cover/chain off we can get it straight on. Got the valve covers off, and all the rockers/pushrods/lifters. Got the fan and radiator and a/c condensor out. Still gotta get the hood latch and pony out of the grill for the cam to slide out. I think that's about it. I just got back to the shop, I'm gonna go pull the timing cover and chain off so I can get that alternator bracket bolt off. Then I'll pull the heads. I need a gear puller to get the timing gears off don't I? I forgot to get one. :bang:

EDIT: Oh yea, I forgot to mention I did finally get the alternator wiring off. I had to pull the valve cover off first to get to the bolt that held one of the cables on. The other two clips I finally got off too.
You need a big torx to get the tensioner off then you can get the bracket off. You shouldnt need a gear puller to get the timing chain off, i just took the bolt out and slid it off. You DONT need to pull the pony out or anything just the condenser and it will come out.