I have a small project in the works with the LMR version. I purchased a 12v-5v power supply to wire in and am going to attach a wireless charger under the coin tray. This way all i have to do is set the phone down and it will charge.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Been a while since I visited this thread.

Or you guys instead of cutting into your console you could just leave it be and update your radio head unit, have a full range of BT, pandora etc options and they come with a hidden USB port which you can play through as well or just let it charge your phone. I finally updated my 1999 Sony CD player to this new alpine head unit. Sounds way better, was scared about wiring it up but ended up doing it, plus now I have my phone charger plus a better stereo that I can BT through. I contemplated putting one of those cheap ports in but imo they make it look just that, kinda cheap

The only problem with face mounted USB ports on head units is that the ports follow the 500 milliwatt standard. It's just enough juice to adequately power any thumb drive you might want to put in there. They're only good as a slow charge port and in most cases will not keep up with higher end phone while running navigation software.

Pay close attention to USB charge port units. To maintain the widest compatibility as a charger, they should be capable of 2.1 Amps @ 5 Volts. Very cheap units are not well regulated and I've seen some that can spike as high as 13 Volts. Many USB devices will not survive that.

The only problem with face mounted USB ports on head units is that the ports follow the 500 milliwatt standard. It's just enough juice to adequately power any thumb drive you might want to put in there. They're only good as a slow charge port and in most cases will not keep up with higher end phone while running navigation software.

Pay close attention to USB charge port units. To maintain the widest compatibility as a charger, they should be capable of 2.1 Amps @ 5 Volts. Very cheap units are not well regulated and I've seen some that can spike as high as 13 Volts. Many USB devices will not survive that.
Yur so smert.:fap:

I guess that’s true but in all honesty my phone won’t be on full time usb or charging enough to where I will blow out the usb. Surely it might not charge at 2.1amp more likely 1.0 or so I guess but my phone is usually charged, also I don’t drive my car as a daily so it will be used minimaly, and I would rather have a clean looking console rather than some cheap $2.00 eBay plug sticking out which looks out of place. Plus I’m sure most of these newer head units are equipped with that in mind since the majority are
Coming with built in USB ports. Idk I’m no wiring electric guru so idk but as long as it will charge it just enough I’ll be happy other blue tooth it is no more old burnt CDs for me and no cutting of my console as well to add a port in.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised so many of you guys are into all this gimmicky crap.
Is it really possible to drive a manual trans fox mustang and drink a cup of coffee? IMO, no drinks in the car that don't have a screw on cap. Preferably water.

You guys really drive far and long enough that your phones run out of charge? I have a galaxy s7 with a mediocre battery to say the least, i'm in a work van 90% of the day going all over the place and I use a headset and make a lot of calls, I rarely if ever charge the phone.
Put a phone charger in the glove compartment and if you really need it, plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Oh yeah. My phone won't make it 20 mins running waze (for speed traps) these days. I pretty much need to keep it on a charger all day long. Really need to get a new one

I practically can't drive without a coffee in my hand

Is it really possible to drive a manual trans fox mustang and drink a cup of coffee? IMO, no drinks in the car that don't have a screw on cap. Preferably water.

You guys really drive far and long enough that your phones run out of charge? I have a galaxy s7 with a mediocre battery to say the least, i'm in a work van 90% of the day going all over the place and I use a headset and make a lot of calls, I rarely if ever charge the phone.
Put a phone charger in the glove compartment and if you really need it, plug it into the cigarette lighter.

That’s exactly why I haven’t done it. Not worth it to me. I usually don’t have anything to drink in my car except bottled water.

Yeah I got the new XS iPhone and battery is good. Honestly I don’t necessarily use the cup holders either, don’t drink coffee, but I was so tired of my broken ash tray door and wanted to change it up with the more modern console. Every now and then I’ll throw a bang in there on the way to cars and coffee or something. I guess it’s more looks than functionality for me but it is nice to have a cup holder!! I might even buy these just toss in them!
A6722046-A10F-4514-A39C-3B0D624EFB3C.jpeg

I absolutely love mine and so does the wife. I can now have beverages in the car that don't have screw on tops. I also installed a 12v/USB port combo where the rear ashtray was that gets used on occasion.

I put one of these in my car last year. Nice piece I must say.

Attachments

• 9BE56DE4-B103-4DA0-99A6-406CA1BC16A1.jpeg
    9BE56DE4-B103-4DA0-99A6-406CA1BC16A1.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 137
  • CB3E3A7E-0EB7-451B-A85B-F9F92CAB7684.jpeg
    CB3E3A7E-0EB7-451B-A85B-F9F92CAB7684.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 5E1C1435-525A-4D0D-851D-00C866FB1544.jpeg
    5E1C1435-525A-4D0D-851D-00C866FB1544.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 121
Sometimes the wife and i leave the house in the car and dont come back all day. Its nice to be able to charge my phone if we take a trip out to the beach ect. I dont consider a cupholder as gimmicky, if im on a long cruise and leave early in the morning a cup of coffee is a must.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oh yeah. My phone won't make it 20 mins running waze (for speed traps) these days. I pretty much need to keep it on a charger all day long. Really need to get a new one

I practically can't drive without a coffee in my hand

I have an iPhone 6s that I got on a deal at Best Buy three years ago for $1.00. My battery was the same way running Waze, and any other app for that matter. $30 for a new battery at Staples and it’s like new. Now it’s a $31 phone, and I’m still way ahead of the game!! Worth a shot.

I dunno, i'm a period correct type of guy and maybe I've owned a foxbody too long. I just don't think it looks right.
I'd rather have an ash tray with a broken door, lol (I don't mine works).
As for as the screw on tops, that isn't just for when the drink is in the holder, foxes aren't exactly the smoothest ride.

I think you guys know my opinion on lighted cupholder. For god sake it's named "colorful". The only thing colorful in a fox should be the language your passenger uses while crapping their pants during a wild ride with you.

Maybe you guys trying to turn your old school muscle cars into something fit for soccer moms should look into the car that the last person that whined over a cup holder designed.

Homer-Simpson-car-21638.jpg

Just to be clear, while I do genuinely hate the cup holder, it really isn't that big of a deal to me, more or less messing with you guys.
I do like the idea of wireless charging, but the issue is that generally they charge slow and if my s7 doesn't fit in the little recessed section of the console, what phone does? So you are going to have added high tech stuff to use old phones? Kinda counterproductive.
You want charging, just setup something in the glove compartment.

Last edited:
  • Agree
I dunno, i'm a period correct type of guy and maybe I've owned a foxbody too long. I just don't think it looks right.
I'd rather have an ash tray with a broken door, lol (I don't mine works).
As for as the screw on tops, that isn't just for when the drink is in the holder, foxes aren't exactly the smoothest ride.

I think you guys know my opinion on lighted cupholder. For god sake it's named "colorful". The only thing colorful in a fox should be the language your passenger uses while crapping their pants during a wild ride with you.

Maybe you guys trying to turn your old school muscle cars into something fit for soccer moms should look into the car that the last person that whined over a cup holder designed.

Homer-Simpson-car-21638.jpg

Just to be clear, while I do genuinely hate the cup holder, it really isn't that big of a deal to me, more or less messing with you guys.
I do like the idea of wireless charging, but the issue is that generally they charge slow and if my s7 doesn't fit in the little recessed section of the console, what phone does? So you are going to have added high tech stuff to use old phones? Kinda counterproductive.
You want charging, just setup something in the glove compartment.
Coin tray on the new one fits my s8 active with room to spare.

i cant speak for anyone else, but my normal morning routine includes stopping at the gas station on the way in to work for a fountain drink (not a coffee guy but still need caffeine) that i can drink at work, not in the car. Also the fast food run at lunch, or just having a good spot for a bottle of water while cruising. Using the traditional "stuffed between the seat and ebrake" method has occasionally led to spills which i would rather avoid, and if it gets rid of the useless ashtray thats a bonus. I used to drive mine everyday though, not sure how thats going to work whenever i actually get it running again, but even if I only take it in one day a week it's worth it.

and youve already seen my comment on the usb and its potential use in my case.