Woe Is Us

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
On 15 Mar the misses and I went to the usual Tuesday night wing place for dinner. Its across town and not far from the Ford lot.

After dinner we decided to swing by and see if anything new rolled off the truck. We have been looking at new 16s.

She saw a 2014 triple black premium convertible and told me that is the one. An hour later it was ours.

We picked it up the evening of the next day.

Over the weekend I noticed some issues with the paint on the trunk. The splash shield under the front air dam was chewed up. Back to the dealer it went on the 21st.

On the 25th they tell us it needs a new evaporator, front splash shield, lower grill, and front bumper cover.

On the 28th they tell us they are going to repaint the back half of the car.

Its the 31st, we have owned the car for 17 days, had it home for only 4 days, and today I made the first payment.

Today we were told it is in paint.

This takes the fun out of a new car.

Pics if we ever get it back.

• Sponsors (?)

Im waiting for the dealer to call back on the status. If the answer is anything other than "all done, come and pick it up" Im going down and raising hell. Im at the end of my patience and understanding.

Sorry to hear. Two places to check paint on a used S197- 1. the front bottom and under lip of the hood and 2. the edging of the trunk area.

This is mainly a manufacturing problem at Ford. If you go through a car wash that actually touches the car with the heavy rubber scrubbers, it could increase the likelihood of it happening.

I had this issue with the hood and had it repainted before it got too bad. The body shop wouldn't guarantee their work because they said it often comes back. I didn't care, it was $300. They also told me that the manufacturers have weasled out of responsibility of the issue because on newer cars, the aluminum won't rust- it just calcifies. So because it is only an aesthetic issue on aluminum (versus a physical problem with the integrity of the steel), they get away with it if the car is past bumper-to-bumper warranty.

After it started to come back (before it was noticeable), I sanded down the under lip of the hood and touched it up with multiple layers of black and clear paint from Autozone. For the hood, it is a simple issue where Ford isn't sealing the paint adequately in the edge of the hood, moisture climbs in, and over time it will rust (if its steel) or calcify (if it is aluminum).

Does anyone know when they went from steel to aluminum in the hoods? My friend has an 05 or 06 and it has the steel... which is rusting/paint is peeling (which sucks for him), but my 11 has aluminum. I am guessing it changed in 2010 when they changed the shape of the S197 a little.

Friday at closing the car wasn't done. I like to be a nice guy, but there is a time when being a nice guy doesn't cut it. This is that time. This is the first and last time I will purchase anything from this dealership.

05 is the first year of aluminum hoods.

I had to turn into a douchebag at Sam's Club over a defective battery purchase/return (it was dead at the time of purchase) once because in their mind, buying a battery that had no shelf life was my fault... like we are all supposed to touch the positive and negative terminals and check it with our fingers before purchase....

Douchebaggery breeds more douchebaggery, though.