Wont start NEED HELP BAD... Wiring????

jpope417

Feb 4, 2007
Hubert NC
I have a 92 lx 5.0 hatch. The trans in the car was shot but everthing else worked fine. Car still started idaled fine everything, Well friday I put in a new bog-warner t-5 in the car and bolted everything back up and tryed to start the car and nothing. So then i looked back over everthing and relized i did not hook back up the sencor on the side of the trans that wont let the car start unless the clutch is pressed in so I pluged it up and then tryed to turn the car over and i get this weird buzzing sound for the motor compartment. Not your normal clicking from the starter if the batt is dead. Neg terminal gets hot if i keep trying to turn it over. So I fugured maybe ut was a bad ground. Took sand paper to the block and replaced postive and neg cables. Took a look at the wiring diagram every thing on the starter and starter solenoid (or starter relay) on the fender wall is hooked up properley. So then I went and got a new batt and new starter and still the same thing. Just some odd buzzing from under the hood, never heard this on any car before, Its not like a arcking sound or anything. The only other thing I found out is when I jump the starter solenoid on the fender wall with the key turn in the on postion (car should start) I dont hear anybuzzing just the starter click forwards and then back when i take the screw driver off. This has me really P.O. I have build 4 motors with not one problem I can do top ends rebuild bottem ends, Almost anything, I am cant believe i cant figure this out. Could I need a new sensor thats on the side of the tranny that I pulled of me out one??? could that be it?? or do i have a short some where. Has any one every had this happen to them??? Please Help

Sgt Jacob Pope
24th MEU
Camp Lejeune NC
USMC

• Sponsors (?)

engine

I have a 92 lx 5.0 hatch. The trans in the car was shot but everthing else worked fine. Car still started idaled fine everything, Well friday I put in a new bog-warner t-5 in the car and bolted everything back up and tryed to start the car and nothing. So then i looked back over everthing and relized i did not hook back up the sencor on the side of the trans that wont let the car start unless the clutch is pressed in so I pluged it up and then tryed to turn the car over and i get this weird buzzing sound for the motor compartment. Not your normal clicking from the starter if the batt is dead. Neg terminal gets hot if i keep trying to turn it over. So I fugured maybe ut was a bad ground. Took sand paper to the block and replaced postive and neg cables. Took a look at the wiring diagram every thing on the starter and starter solenoid (or starter relay) on the fender wall is hooked up properley. So then I went and got a new batt and new starter and still the same thing. Just some odd buzzing from under the hood, never heard this on any car before, Its not like a arcking sound or anything. The only other thing I found out is when I jump the starter solenoid on the fender wall with the key turn in the on postion (car should start) I dont hear anybuzzing just the starter click forwards and then back when i take the screw driver off. This has me really P.O. I have build 4 motors with not one problem I can do top ends rebuild bottem ends, Almost anything, I am cant believe i cant figure this out. Could I need a new sensor thats on the side of the tranny that I pulled of me out one??? could that be it?? or do i have a short some where. Has any one every had this happen to them??? Please Help

Sgt Jacob Pope
24th MEU
Camp Lejeune NC
USMC

have you tryed turning engine over by hand????

have you tryed turning engine over by hand????

No i have not...... One of my buddys suggested that also, he told me that he thinks the motor is seized if thats what your getting at. I told him that its not because i just started it 2 weeks ago and it ran fine. Correct me if im wrong but I can olny crank it over by hand from the main crank pulley??? Also When I did replace the tranny I also did a full tune up if that makes any diffrence. Also to add to my original post it did once start to fire and then it cut off in about 1 sec. It did not stumble or slowley stall which makes me think its some type of electrical problem. So do you think ots seized??????? If so...... im screwed

stuck

No i have not...... One of my buddys suggested that also, he told me that he thinks the motor is seized if thats what your getting at. I told him that its not because i just started it 2 weeks ago and it ran fine. Correct me if im wrong but I can olny crank it over by hand from the main crank pulley??? Also When I did replace the tranny I also did a full tune up if that makes any diffrence. Also to add to my original post it did once start to fire and then it cut off in about 1 sec. It did not stumble or slowley stall which makes me think its some type of electrical problem. So do you think ots seized??????? If so...... im screwed

yes but also u say you put in a stick,,, maybe clutch is not releasing and car is in gear type of feel,,,im assuming its still in garage,,,have you tryed push-starting it?

yes but also u say you put in a stick,,, maybe clutch is not releasing and car is in gear type of feel,,,im assuming its still in garage,,,have you tryed push-starting it?

Yes i did try to but even when i have the clutch to the floor i cant get it in gear on the move. It rolls fine in neutral but if i press in the clutch and try to put it in gear it will just grind...... But the clutch looked fine, used a alighment tool when i put it back in. Could i have over tightened the pressure plate on to the clutch disk and that is causing this to happen..... no clutch problem?????? I just figured I would get it to turn over before dealing with the clutch issue. Correct me if im wrong If its in neutral that should not make a diffrence when i try to start it? Thanks for trying to help so far man.

Sgt Jacob Pope
24th MEU
Camp lejeune, NC
USMC

Jumping the solenoid bypasses all of the safety switches.

I do agree with turning the motor over by hand to see what happens. Or if you can get it into 4th or 5th gear (car off), you can push the car forward. If it moves, the motor should be turning over. EDIT: If you do this, be sure to put the car back in neutral and reapply the emergency brake, so when you bypass the starter interlock circuit, it doesn't start in gear and take off.

How did the ring gear on the flywheel look?

For diagnostics, I use a donor battery (as if jump starting) and a spare set of battery cables. The battery cables are used in parallel with existing cables to test for a bad OEM cable. For instance, I will parallel the starter cable to see if a car magically starts. If so, I know the OEM cable is deficient.

Good luck.

Jumping the solenoid bypasses all of the safety switches.

I do agree with turning the motor over by hand to see what happens. Or if you can get it into 4th or 5th gear (car off), you can push the car forward. If it moves, the motor should be turning over. EDIT: If you do this, be sure to put the car back in neutral and reapply the emergency brake, so when you bypass the starter interlock circuit, it doesn't start in gear and take off.

How did the ring gear on the flywheel look?

For diagnostics, I use a donor battery (as if jump starting) and a spare set of battery cables. The battery cables are used in parallel with existing cables to test for a bad OEM cable. For instance, I will parallel the starter cable to see if a car magically starts. If so, I know the OEM cable is deficient.

Good luck.

So basicly your saying to take a set of jumpers and touch the poles on the starter........ I have BBK long tubes so dont think this will be possiable but today i am going to try to turn it over by hand and then just keep digging in the wiring and see if i can find anything. oh and the flywheel and ring gear looked just fine. Anyone else ever had this happen and they find the problem...................thanks

Sgt Jacob Pope
24th MEU
Camp Lejeune, NC
USMC

Do the voltage drop tests as directed in the following tech note. You will probably find a bad connection with a large voltage drop.

No Crank checklist for 5.0 Mustangs

Since some of the tests will bypass the safety interlocks, make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Becoming a pancake isn’t part of the repair process…

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order. The clamp on with 2 bolts battery terminal ends are a know problem causer. Corrosion gets in the clamped joint and works its way up the wire under the insulation. Avoid them like the plague...

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection while trying to start the car: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.
See Automotive Test Tools for help for help troubleshooting voltage drops across grounds.
fig-7.gif

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

4.) Then pull the small push on connector (small red/blue wire) off the starter solenoid (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

5.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then you have wiring problems.

Typical start circuit...
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss &Stang&2birds
attachment.php

See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars
See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars.
See AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year for 94-98 model Mustangs

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) Pull the starter and take it to AutoZone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang
attachment.php

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or upgraded high torque mini starter.
attachment.php

something doent sound right about the grinding when trying to put in gear.....with car in gear and clutch pushed in does car still roll?

No it will not...... It worked fine before i put the new tranny in. I reused the same clutch that was in there before. No big deal and Ive put 2 clutches in this car before so I know i did it right. The only thing that I think I may have messed up on is the Possiability of over tightened the bolts that hold the clutch assemebley to the fly wheel. :shrug:But at the same time I know that shold not have a diffrence starting the car. Its just a whole nother problem that I will have to fix after I get the car started:( I will try the test with the multi meter just have to barrow one from a buddy.

problem

No it will not...... It worked fine before i put the new tranny in. I reused the same clutch that was in there before. No big deal and Ive put 2 clutches in this car before so I know i did it right. The only thing that I think I may have messed up on is the Possiability of over tightened the bolts that hold the clutch assemebley to the fly wheel. :shrug:But at the same time I know that shold not have a diffrence starting the car. Its just a whole nother problem that I will have to fix after I get the car started:( I will try the test with the multi meter just have to barrow one from a buddy.

well thats a problem ,,car sounds stuck in gear,and sounds like the starter is working from your story,,,,,one more time..car in first gear and push in clutch,car will not move,,car in neutral it will,,,,,than you did something wrong in clutch change,,,cant see over tight,,but clutch in backwards,or fork is bent,,forgot tob,or thats backwards,,,,car should roll in any gear with clutch pushed in......long way here but pull all the plugs out will relieve pressure stopping starter from turning...the starter is strong enough to move a car in gear but not with brake on or uphill

replys

we all make mistakes,,even with doing mechanics everyday,,,just read your story ,problem is right in front of you..JR and hisson50 gave you great stuff thier ,,yours is tricky cause it all worked before,and you changed the battery and starter already with out bench testing after pulling out starter,,,..doing a swap is hard ..i remember i had an old ford with an fmx trans on a 351 and tryed to put a big block in...belhousings were different as well as the tc ,that i did not know....finding a belhousing back in 1980 was a needle in a haystack..we all learn things by having a problem and your in the right place for help