Woooooooooo Got An Interview!!

So i've been desparately looking for a summer job cause i needa pay for the repairs on my car, and my insurance, and some mods :D , and im really good at CAD. So on monday, i called up an architecture firm in a town near me who was looking for a CAD operator, and the guy said he was going to think about it, and that it wasn't outta the question. So i gave him a call today, and asked him if he had given it any thought, and he said yes, he wans't really looking for a HS student, but im qualified, so he wants to meet me. So im going tonite at 5:30 for an informal interview with him. Wish me luck i've never had an interview b4. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Low-5.0 said:
Good luck!

CAD=Computer Assisted Drawing (?)
I had one CAD class in college. It was kinda fun, but not really my thing.
ya idk what it is about CAD.....my CAD teacher was my favorite teacher in HS so far, and he was just the man....no toehr way of putting it....i dont think i would have any CAD knowledge or skill if he wasn't my teacher.....i owe it all to MR. Perna :D

Sweet dude, I took 2 CAD classes in High School. CAD II was all 3D, I made a house which you could basically walk in and live in, banisters, colums, railings, doors, counter tops, oven, refrigerator, everything. I'll see if I can scan some pics of my drawings and post them up here.

WhiteStallionGT said:
Sweet dude, I took 2 CAD classes in High School. CAD II was all 3D, I made a house which you could basically walk in and live in, banisters, colums, railings, doors, counter tops, oven, refrigerator, everything. I'll see if I can scan some pics of my drawings and post them up here.
awesome man, i'd love to see em.....my biggest project was a front elevation of a house, 3 floors with all details, and then a top view of teh whole property...i printed everything out on a plotter, so i felt all important walkin thru the schooll with these rolled up plans for a fake house under my arm...lol :D

That's cool man. I would say to wear kacki (sp?) pants, and either a button down or just a polo shirt. I work for an engineering firm and this is pretty much what most of the guys wear. I am a firm believer in dress the way you would dress for work to the interview.

Good Luck.

Not my bag but CAD is some cool stuff. What software package are you using?

94-302-vert said:
That's cool man. I would say to wear kacki (sp?) pants, and either a button down or just a polo shirt. I work for an engineering firm and this is pretty much what most of the guys wear. I am a firm believer in dress the way you would dress for work to the interview.

Good Luck.

Not my bag but CAD is some cool stuff. What software package are you using?
i forget what the name of the program is that he told me i'd be using, but he said its exactly like CAD and that i could pick it up in a day or 2..... :D

Striped5.0 said:
just wear some jeans and a John Deere hat.

Figures that comes from the Mainiac. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't dress down. I would definately wear a shirt and tie. The worst that can happen is that the guy will notice you went through the extra effort to look professional. Especially because they were looking for someone older. You don't want to do anything that will remind him of how young or inexperienced you are.

I JUST got my first job since graduating college yesterday, Hudson Light and Power, doing power engineering. They all dressed business casual, I wore a full suit, but either way I had the job an hour and 15 minutes after walking through the door.

Good handshake, look him in the eye, and don't be afraid to ask questions. My favorite question during the interview is to look the guy/girl square in the eye and ask whether or not they like it at their company. It usually will take them back a sec and you can tell if you look close or not whether they BSin you before they answer.

Also, because the interview is at 5:30, and the dude will want to get home to his wife, show up a little early just in case he can take you early. He'll definately appreciate it and notice that you are punctual, which is HUGE in the corporate world.

- adam

Black95GTS said:
Figures that comes from the Mainiac. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't dress down. I would definately wear a shirt and tie. The worst that can happen is that the guy will notice you went through the extra effort to look professional. Especially because they were looking for someone older. You don't want to do anything that will remind him of how young or inexperienced you are.

I JUST got my first job since graduating college yesterday, Hudson Light and Power, doing power engineering. They all dressed business casual, I wore a full suit, but either way I had the job an hour and 15 minutes after walking through the door.

Good handshake, look him in the eye, and don't be afraid to ask questions. My favorite question during the interview is to look the guy/girl square in the eye and ask whether or not they like it at their company. It usually will take them back a sec and you can tell if you look close or not whether they BSin you before they answer.

Also, because the interview is at 5:30, and the dude will want to get home to his wife, show up a little early just in case he can take you early. He'll definately appreciate it and notice that you are punctual, which is HUGE in the corporate world.

- adam
yea thanks man...i wore a pale blue polo, khakis, and black shoes, no hat (cause i ALWAYS wear a hat)....basically he wants me...i offered to give up playing soccer for the job, and that got him right there......so the final verdict is on monday.......oh yea he told be to meet him at 5:30, and i was there at 5:07 :D

bayellowstang said:
Good to here man. Good luck. I use Autocad at my job. Never did any kind of floor plans though. We build/design lapping machines for the Silicon Industry.

I have heard great things about the CAD package Pro-E. Never used it though.
yea basically they told me that they wanted me, and that i get teh final verdict on monday.....i will be using another knockoff version of cad....for the life of me i cant remember the name if it...... :shrug: