Would it be worth it to get a dyno tuned chip AND a personal programer?

N8Miller

I need NOS....make it 2 of the big ones
Founding Member
Jul 26, 2000
Kingston, PA, USA
ok, i can get a hypertech for a cheap price from work, but i want a dyno tune in the worst way. would it be worth it to get the chip, but then a personal programmer in the spring? reburning a chip is like $200 + dyno time, so i cant flip that everytime i get an addition, but on the other hand, i cant get the dyno tuning performance w/o a dyno.

• Sponsors (?)

aren't personal programmers (hypertech, tweecer, etc) and custom chips both basically different ways of controlling the computer? I don't think you need both. To use a programmer and get full use, I think it's a lot of reading and learning, so if you're willing to do that, it might be best so you can change things whenver you make an addition.

However, what more are you gonna add? Unless you're planning a rebuild or power adder, I think your combo is gonna be nearly complete. If this is true, I don't think a custom chip would need to be reburnt repeatedly.

If your combo is relatively finished and/or you don't feel like learning the necessary stuff to program correctly=Custom Chip

If you plan to change things up and/or you want to learn and do things yourself and have the freedom to experiment=Personal Programmer

On a side note, I've never seen a hypertech for a fox body stang. Tweecer is the most popular on here, I believe.

Nate hold off and get a programble sytem, PMS, etc... It will allow you to tune on the dyno and make changes, and you will be able to change the tune for different weather and track conditions.

I don't think you should really need a chip for that combo, would changing the time curbes and fuel curves add more power, maybe. But you price out the chip and dyno time and a programmable unit isn't much more. I ran a Speedbrain ECU for the last few years, it replaced the factory computer and allowed alomst full control. It was ahead of it's time back in 1999 and it didn't get the advertisment of following so ACC shut down and it was no longer made. I learned how to tune and read all the data logged info. I took it to the dyno and was within 1 hp of what the dyno operator tuned me too...

Once you go programmable you'll never look back. My new ingintion is all programable with timing control for all 8 cylinders individually.

I read your e-mail, I'll get back to you later getting ready to leave for Hershey Park ;)

Rick 91GT said:
Nate hold off and get a programble sytem, PMS, etc... It will allow you to tune on the dyno and make changes, and you will be able to change the tune for different weather and track conditions.

I don't think you should really need a chip for that combo, would changing the time curbes and fuel curves add more power, maybe. But you price out the chip and dyno time and a programmable unit isn't much more. I ran a Speedbrain ECU for the last few years, it replaced the factory computer and allowed alomst full control. It was ahead of it's time back in 1999 and it didn't get the advertisment of following so ACC shut down and it was no longer made. I learned how to tune and read all the data logged info. I took it to the dyno and was within 1 hp of what the dyno operator tuned me too...

Once you go programmable you'll never look back. My new ingintion is all programable with timing control for all 8 cylinders individually.

I read your e-mail, I'll get back to you later getting ready to leave for Hershey Park ;)

i agree, those off the shelf chips are crap, get a tweecer r/t or a pms, even a epec system if you have the dough.

My .02 cents worth: I have spoken to SEVERAL tuners about PMS (I was looking to get one for me). I have not found one who's had anything good to say about them. They've all said that they're junk. I've had no first hand experience with these systems (yet) but I have a rough time sinking $1100 and more into a system that the pros all give a thumbs down on. I recently saw an article about the AEM system. I'll be looking into that next. You guys hear anything?

Daggar said:
My .02 cents worth: I have spoken to SEVERAL tuners about PMS (I was looking to get one for me). I have not found one who's had anything good to say about them. They've all said that they're junk. I've had no first hand experience with these systems (yet) but I have a rough time sinking $1100 and more into a system that the pros all give a thumbs down on. I recently saw an article about the AEM system. I'll be looking into that next. You guys hear anything?

aem is pretty expensive also around 1200 bucks to i believe, I went with a twecer r/t for the 550 price tag, think one of the mustang mags did an article on the aem one. I weary of that compnay cause of its import background, but thats just me. might be an excellent product

I'm rather suprised you heard bad from some shops about the PMS. Especially the new '04 version; its great and has way more adjustability than its predecessors. The $850 price is high, but to me its well worth it.

FWIW, I went with a dyno tuned chip on my GT, and its ok, but its really too conservative and I can't fine tune. I went this route as I was tired of breaking things tweaking using the old pre-PMS, the Interceptor 2. It was great and allowed me alot of tuning ability which I wasn't ready for at the time. Got greedy and didn't really know what I was doing. Currently picked up a new 04 PMS and the chip. I am going to mimic the chip and make it into a program on the PMS and fine tune it better. The chip doesn't have good driveability, and I know I can pull more power from it. I even put the wideband 02 into it and that makes tuning easy and most importantly, safe.

My vote is a programmer, the 04 PMS with a wideband to aid in tuning. Save the dyno when you've got the tune how you want it to get the numbers.
My $.02,
Dave

Nutty 5.o said:
My vote is a programmer, the 04 PMS with a wideband to aid in tuning. Save the dyno when you've got the tune how you want it to get the numbers.
My $.02,
Dave

how much does that run? the tweecer RT sounds nice. how much more is a wide band option? what companies do you recomend? also, i threw out my MMFF with the personal tuners---what month was that? thanks

Rick, i probably wont get one till Xmas time, but in the spring, would you wanna spend some time working with me personally on tuning it?

The PMS is top notch has a lot of functions and is easy to use once you get use to it. Many of the top guys use them.... The new version is very nice.

Nate let me know when your ready..

Nutty 5.o said:
I'm rather suprised you heard bad from some shops about the PMS. Especially the new '04 version; its great and has way more adjustability than its predecessors. The $850 price is high, but to me its well worth it.

Dave

I was as suprised as you are. I was really leaning towards getting one after some of the articles that I'd read. Over the phone I was like "but but but" and after 5 or so phone calls to various places, I didn't find anyone willing to give it stellar reviews. I mentioned the AEM because of all the good things they had to say about them in the article and because it talked specifically about tuning speed density. Who know? It may just be a case of being unfamiliar territory to those that I spoke with (most if not all of them burn custom chips).

The wideband option is part of the 04 PMS, well its wideband ready would be the better way to say it. You can use the UEGO wideband (I have this one made by EFI Systems sold by AFM), or any of the widebands will work with the PMS.

Go to www.stangtuning.com for alot of great info on the new PMS. That's what convinced me.

Rick, Nutty,..... i think that you sold me on the programmers.

now, can someone (very breifly) tell me the differences about each one? like your mentioning th 04PMS and i have been on the tweecer (RT) site...how do they differ...compaire, favor....etc? if i could find my MMFF with the feature in....i would be good. anyone know the month?