Wrap That Thing!

Curious as to why you pieced it together do much? Only two seams on mynfox are one at the top of each quarter panel. Bumpers, hatch etc were all done in one continuous sheet.

This is my vinyl wrapped hooptie
Screenshot_20170610-223908.png
BTW, in case i haven't mentioned it enough, I love your car. Sure, I know it's quick, but, DAMN it's purdy too!:nice:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

On my way to work monday moring at 4am, I came across a racoon that had decided he had had enough of this world.

Of course, he picked the side that had been previously damaged and repaired.

I did a quick "bandaid" job on it to make it more presentable until I can find a replacement bumper cover for a reasonable price, less than 5 hrs away.

It looks better, but still pretty shtty...

20170620_085854.jpg

20170620_085904.jpg

20170621_142443.jpg

20170621_142755.jpg

20170621_144100.jpg

20170621_144055.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
On my way to work monday moring at 4am, I came across a racoon that had decided he had had enough of this world.

Of course, he picked the side that had been previously damaged and repaired.

I did a quick "bandaid" job on it to make it more presentable until I can find a replacement bumper cover for a reasonable price, less than 5 hrs away.

It looks better, but still pretty shtty...

20170620_085854.jpg

20170620_085904.jpg

20170621_142443.jpg

20170621_142755.jpg

20170621_144100.jpg

20170621_144055.jpg

Damn dude, bummer!

That's terrible after all that work. If I hit a coon ( or any other animal ) some part of'em is coming home with me. That raccoon tail would be salted and being prepared to hang from my rear view mirror.

Reactions: 3 users
You can pick up all the tools on amazon. To do this I used magnets, basic squeegee, knife less cut tape, heat gun (Or hairdryer.... AFTER I burned my arm on the heat gun.....) and a "snap off" type razor blade. I can post some amazon links if you are really interested.

In front of the car is $700 worth of blue and black vinyl which I'm pretty sure will be enough to wrap my truck (that is white now). Goal is to have the truck have a similar theme to the Mustang. I can post some stuff on that once I get going on it if you guys are interested.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is kinda old, but at least the latest post is less than a month old.
I'm thinking about trying to wrap my 95, I know how to paint, it but I don't have a place or the time to do it. I figure I could wrap it, to quote Johnny Cash, "one piece at a time".
What kind of finish do I need? I know it has to be smooth, but how smooth? Would, lets say, fine sanded epoxy primer be acceptable, or does it need to be glossy?
How do you get the wrap into the recessed lettering? Heat and a cloth glove? I wrapped a pair of bicycle fenders in the di-noc carbon fiber just using a hair drier and lots of pulling, but that's all convex, I expect concave is a whole different story.
How much overlap around door jambs, hood edges, etc. is required? Is any kind of sealer required on edges to prevent lifting? I used epoxy on the inside of the bike fenders.
I have a new hood, a steel replacement with (claimed) electrostatic primer, it's black and semi gloss, would need scuffing for paint, could it be wrapped as is, and painted on the inside?
I have a replacement front bumper cover, could it be wrapped with just a good cleaning to remove the mold release?
Why do I think I could wrap this thing? Well, other then the bumpers, it's mostly flat, think about it, on a 95 the hood, roof, trunk lid, doors, quarters, and fenders are mostly flat, yes they're curved, but not drastic, a bend on a flat surface is still flat, I can see the side scoop areas on the quarters being a bit of a pain. I know the biggest challenge will be the front bumper, I think I could do it in sections, and maybe get away with it.
Plus, I could get a finish with a wrap, that would be outrageously expensive with paint. Pearl, iridescent, carbon fiber look, camo, some not more expensive than solid colors. I figure I could get a 5 x 5 piece of the faux carbon fiber, about $100, and try the hood, if it works, go for it.
Anyhoo, I know this is a lot of questions, and I really do appreciate any advise, thank you

I know this is kinda old, but at least the latest post is less than a month old.
I'm thinking about trying to wrap my 95, I know how to paint, it but I don't have a place or the time to do it. I figure I could wrap it, to quote Johnny Cash, "one piece at a time".
What kind of finish do I need? I know it has to be smooth, but how smooth? Would, lets say, fine sanded epoxy primer be acceptable, or does it need to be glossy?
How do you get the wrap into the recessed lettering? Heat and a cloth glove? I wrapped a pair of bicycle fenders in the di-noc carbon fiber just using a hair drier and lots of pulling, but that's all convex, I expect concave is a whole different story.
How much overlap around door jambs, hood edges, etc. is required? Is any kind of sealer required on edges to prevent lifting? I used epoxy on the inside of the bike fenders.
I have a new hood, a steel replacement with (claimed) electrostatic primer, it's black and semi gloss, would need scuffing for paint, could it be wrapped as is, and painted on the inside?
I have a replacement front bumper cover, could it be wrapped with just a good cleaning to remove the mold release?
Why do I think I could wrap this thing? Well, other then the bumpers, it's mostly flat, think about it, on a 95 the hood, roof, trunk lid, doors, quarters, and fenders are mostly flat, yes they're curved, but not drastic, a bend on a flat surface is still flat, I can see the side scoop areas on the quarters being a bit of a pain. I know the biggest challenge will be the front bumper, I think I could do it in sections, and maybe get away with it.
Plus, I could get a finish with a wrap, that would be outrageously expensive with paint. Pearl, iridescent, carbon fiber look, camo, some not more expensive than solid colors. I figure I could get a 5 x 5 piece of the faux carbon fiber, about $100, and try the hood, if it works, go for it.
Anyhoo, I know this is a lot of questions, and I really do appreciate any advise, thank you

When wrapping anything, it needs to be pretty much in the same shape as if you were painting it. ANY flaws / imperfections will show thru. I'm not sure if wrapping over the primer would be a good idea. You could take a small piece of vinyl and stick it on to "test" and see how well it sticks. If you can pull it off really easy, then it needs more of a gloss finish. If it takes some effort to pull it off, you are good to go. As far as recessed lettering, yes. Heat and patience. Don't be surprised if it pulls up some...

I am interested, is it super difficult to do an entire car? About how much is the cost of materials to do a fox?
Thanks yours look great btw

It isn't super hard, just very time consuming. I want to say I had about $400 in vinyl to do the fox. I am cheap though, and put in extra seams so I would use less material. That car was a 10'er at best on a good day anyway... I've got about $700 in vinyl for my 4 door short bed silverado with a cap.

Just out of curiosity, what was the condition of the paint before you wrapped? Did you have any dings in the body or chips in the paint, or was it nice and flat?

My ex-father-in-law helped me paint it. It was probably a 6 out of 10 at best. At the time I did not know, but he used super cheap paint, which was one of the reasons for wrapping it... It just about needed repainted after only a few years... The vinyl DOES NOT hide any imperfections. If you have dents or rock chips, if anything it will amplify it.

Thank you, Joe, I'll take your information into consideration. I know the hardest part is going to be the front bumper with all its openings. I have thought about just getting enough to do the hood, and starting there, maybe the carbon fiber look, or something contrasting.

I did carbon fiber on the center section of my excursion hood when I had it... Because it has a "pattern" to it, it looks funny when you stretch it to get it to go around curves, just so ya know.