WTF?

Okay guys, I have an 89 Gt Hatch, I have been upgrading it with the usual beginner mods, so here is my problem, I was driving home yesterday from work, and i drive down a road where traffic is not too bad, I decided to stop and practice on my burnout capabilities with the stang, i did a massive burnout, had smoke all over the car, it was awesome, but, i backed up to check out the burnout marks, and there was only one mark on the right rear tire on the pavement, :mad: so, what do i need to do, is my locker in the back broke, can i replace or rebuild it, what do you all think is the best way to go, the car still has stock differential, i would imangine 3.08's or 3.27's, i am not sure, what can i do, to get it back to posi traction? Please help. Thanks/ :nice: :SNSign:

89 Gt Hatch, BBK Off road h-pipe, king cobra clutch kit, msd wires, cap, rotor, msd 6a ignition box, master blaster msd coil, electric fan, flowmasters, BBK cold air induction fenderwell, no smog, or ac.
Mostly stock-slow, but working on it.

• Sponsors (?)

crazyhorse89 said:
Okay guys, I have an 89 Gt Hatch, I have been upgrading it with the usual beginner mods, so here is my problem, I was driving home yesterday from work, and i drive down a road where traffic is not too bad, I decided to stop and practice on my burnout capabilities with the stang, i did a massive burnout, had smoke all over the car, it was awesome, but, i backed up to check out the burnout marks, and there was only one mark on the right rear tire on the pavement, :mad: so, what do i need to do, is my locker in the back broke, can i replace or rebuild it, what do you all think is the best way to go, the car still has stock differential, i would imangine 3.08's or 3.27's, i am not sure, what can i do, to get it back to posi traction? Please help. Thanks/ :nice: :SNSign:

89 Gt Hatch, BBK Off road h-pipe, king cobra clutch kit, msd wires, cap, rotor, msd 6a ignition box, master blaster msd coil, electric fan, flowmasters, BBK cold air induction fenderwell, no smog, or ac.
Mostly stock-slow, but working on it.

Rebuild the stock track-loc or upgrade to a better one. Rebuild about $70 with kit and new fluid......new locker min of $300 to $500ish for aftermarker.

i was lucky.. 3.08s stock.. i have a raytec rebuild kit.. which also has upgraded junk for it to lock harder or whatever. you should go to 3.08s or 3.27s (i seriously doubt your car came with 3.08s)

TheChevyEater said:
i was lucky.. 3.08s stock.. i have a raytec rebuild kit.. which also has upgraded junk for it to lock harder or whatever. you should go to 3.08s or 3.27s (i seriously doubt your car came with 3.08s)

Cheap upgrade would be 3.27's IMO because most newer stangs come with them so they are a dime a dozen just like 2.73's are to us 5.0 guys. I picked up a set of 3.27's with a track-loc out of a 2002GT for $50 with under 10K on it.

bryce93lx said:
I have a 93 lx and have just always assumed it did not have posi, is this possible, did some come with out it or has my trac lock been broken for the last 40,000 miles becuase that would be retarted

Your stang should have posi . Sounds like your one wheel wonder should definately be two . Get it rebuilt and stop limpin around!!

:nice:

It was mentioned about the rebuild kit with "upgrades" for better holding. Is this useful/worth it? Or will the simple rebuild be fine? I plan on rebuilding whenever I get to installing my 3.55's that have been on the floor for nearly a year now...oops :eek:

I think you can just stack the shims and clutches in a different order to make it grabbier. From what I understand you just alternate between the steel shim and the clutch disc instead of whatever the original setup was. This means that you re-use one (1) of your old clutches.

Also supposedly the trucks had a spring that set more pre-load factory.

why is it doubted it came with 3.08's? my '88 has 3.08s...that was a popular option. 2.73's were standard, but if the person who bought it knew what box to check, 3.08's will be in it...BTW, you can get the code for the gears on the door...

Josh