X pipe install and exhaust leak at passenger manifold.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
I installed my X pipe today, cranked it up and it sounded great untill I gave it some gas and heard one hell of an exhaust leak. Instantly pinpointed it to the passenger side manifold where the X pipe and manifold meet.

I was told most people re-use the stock gasket during midpipe swaps, but apparently mine wasnt in good enough shape... so its off to the parts store in the morning.

Kinda frustrating, but overall installing the X pipe wasnt hard.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I got lucky and was able to reuse mine without any problems. I guess it is just hit or miss...glad you got the x installed with no problems, its really not that hard once u take your time and look at it and fig. out where to get all the bolts from

Yeah I would say the install itself is easy, its just dropping the old pipe down and manuvering it out while your still under the car, and lining up the new X is the harder part. I know my shoulders and arms are sore as hell, lol.

I also wasnt able to unclip the primary o2 sensors from their clips... I had to remove them from the stock H and let them dangle, not really a problem though.

Truthfully I didnt even notice a gasket on the flange, but I guess its there and all torn up. It has 100k on it, so a new one is probaly in order. No parts stores had them in stock today though, and the dealership isnt open...:nonono:

look around the ground where you did the install, if its not there, it may have just one bolt holding it in place under the hood. So its like hanging half way out of the flange. this would cause it to leat a lot! I would get under the car and feel around to see if this is the case. i did it once, but caught it before i put the car down. you might still be able to use it if you find it, but i would replace it anyway if you torqued it down like that.

Rickyll7 said:
look around the ground where you did the install, if its not there, it may have just one bolt holding it in place under the hood. So its like hanging half way out of the flange. this would cause it to leat a lot! I would get under the car and feel around to see if this is the case. i did it once, but caught it before i put the car down. you might still be able to use it if you find it, but i would replace it anyway if you torqued it down like that.

Its definatly not under the car, and its not on the stock H pipe, so its gotta still be attached. I was kind rough getting the H off, so it may have torn a bit, not sure. To be honest I didnt even notice it on there when I removed the stock H...:shrug:

Its gonna have to sit till Tuesday probaly...:( No one has a gasket today, tomarrow is the soonest but I wont have time to work on it.

But aside from the leak, it sounds great. SOOOOOO much smoother than the stock H even with the leak.

BurningRubber said:
New gasket is in, leak at the flange stopped...:D

But, the thing hangs sooo fawwwking low!!! Im gonna try and fix that, or is it normal for them to do that?

I have a bbk o/r h and mine sits pretty low. I actually scraped it and it bent the flange where the h meets the catback and has a leak there now. I tried to push mine up as far as it would go then hooked up the hangers but its still pretty low.

I got it raised up a few more inches. I took a floor jack, loosened the pipe where it meets the catback and raised it up, and re-tightened the clamps.

It was hanging reaaaly low the first time, now its not so bad.

And damn, it really opened some power up in the top end...:hail2: