X-pipe VS. H-Pipe

I have O/R H-Pipes and it is plenty loud. I got flowmaster exhaust and you can hear me from a good distance. I dont know where you are from or the laws, but to have O/R pipes is illegal. If you get the X-pipes and it is louder, you could be getting yourself in more trouble with law enforcement. I get nervous having O/R H-pipes since it is still loud. The one guy said the H sounds like a pontiac gto and the X sounds like a ferrari...well Fords are American cars, what would you want it to sound like? Both sound sweet

• Sponsors (?)

I was taught that you dont "lose" torque or power...it just gets shifted up.

The difference in power wont be seen until you make some insane power....on our average run of the mill 302s the only major difference will be sound.

Quijibow_69 said:
When you say that O/R X makes an "exotic" sound, what do you mean by that? Ricer sound?

Exotic like the 4.6 modular engine. Higher tone, less grumble.

My X pipe sounds metallic like. I really like it. I does not sound like a 350 Chevy Truck.

Really agressive.

I have to agree with ponyboy. If you use an x-pipe make sure you use a straight through muffler not a chambered muffler. The x sounds so much better with straight throughs than using flows or mac. I ran my x with a mac cat-back (which is my fav. exhaust with an h pipe) an it sounded like crap. Dynomax ultraflos solved that problem sounds soooooo much better now. The x is not near as deep down low but will scream in the uppers has a more controlled sound to me. I also read something from hooker a while back that during some testing. They actually found the h-pipe to have an advantage on a blower car over the x pipe in high horse applications and the h to have an advantage over the na cars......you would think different but hey nascar uses x pipes on there na cars. This is just something I read maybe not the truth.

You're gonna hear a thousand different opinions on which is better. More than likely there won't be a noticeable difference in performance between the two. Pick for the sound you like the most.

I switched from EL shorties and a BBK x-pipe to MAC longtubes and a Prochamber. Much better sound -- very deep sound and much quieter. My neighbors, parents, and fiance all approve. lol

83GtConvert said:
what about when you throw cats on h or x, how does it effect sound and power?

Good Question... I would assume that both an X and H would decrease in power slighty. But arent there different types of cats such as High-flowing cats that wont affect the performance as noticable?

P.S. I just bought my 89 GT and it has an O/R H-pipe and sounds mean as hell... I love the low-tone rumble.

I was looking into the bassani x with cats (high flow i presume) and going with the dynomax ultra-flo cat back on the stock 86 headers i just got for free (im very tight on cash) anyone have any sound clips for that or something similar

I've read that the majority of nmra cars, and most of the nascar cup cars are moving back to H crossover designs. I doubt they are looking to loose any high rpm power.

I never liked the idea of ramming exhaust gases thru a restricted X anyways. Never made sense to me.

As for sound, I'd agree with the majority, H=rumble X=wail.

Ive got an orx that came on my car now. Pretty soon Im swapping to a catted H (emmisions). I hope it quiets it down alot, as well as makes the exhaust deeper. I dont need to let the cops know when Im comin. On the other hand Im dieing to have a car deep enough to set off car alarms.