X3z And Cobra Maf Question?

jAEded

Aug 12, 2013
Cali
This is probably a tuning question. I did look for a specific tuning section in the forums. I'm sorry if I missed it.

I have the X3Z and both the F1SF and F1ZF MAF sensors. Based on this - http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/93cobra-maf-vs-stock-gt-maf.html

If the information is correct? At 300 SCFM there is a 0.25V difference between the sensors. F1SF is the Cobra, and F1ZF is the stock 5.0 sensor.

To the people that tune. If I ran the F1ZF sensor on the X3Z would it be crazy rich, or is the difference only slight?

I'm trying to figure out ways to play with the tuning on the car using stock parts.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Would the fact that the F1ZF sensor hits 5 volts at 460 scfm be bad vs F1SF 5 volts at 570 scfm?

I haven't run the car yet with the X3Z so it may be fine. I was running the A3M and Pro-M & 24#s and the car was pretty lean.

I was just curious. Or if someone knows other MAF sensor part numbers from Ford that track closer with the F1SF? It would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
The computer's internal calibration is based on having a MAF that matches the programmed data table for the MAF that was designed for that particular application. The X3Z's MAF table is designed to work with the matching MAF that came with it. The computer takes MAF data, Barometric Sensor data, RPM, Throttle Position Sensor, Air Temp sensor(ACT), Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) , O2 sensor data and EGR sensor data an computes them into the tables to vary the fuel injector on timing. That in turn changes the air fuel ratio. To effectively burn more fuel, you need more air to go with it. Simply adding fuel will not produce the desired results of more performance once you get outside the air/fuel limits.

Google EECTEC10.pdf, eectch98.pdf, ford_doc.pdf, and TECHNICAL NOTES ON THE EEC-IV MCU.pdf. . These are all free, public documents. The answers you want can be derived for the information found in them.

Also see http://eectuning.org/forums/ for more online help.

Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to find the best way to word my question... If I'm running the X3Z, stock airbox and cobra MAF, should in theory the MAF sensor be reading fairly accurately? As long as I leave the MAF and intake track around it stock. Will upgrades to the heads, intake and exhaust be covered because the increased airflow is being correctly read by the MAF? I hope that makes sense.

I bought the car running a cone filter on the end of a C&L maf with a clear tube, 19#s, 70MM BBK T\B, stock E7s, Edel Performer intake, 1.72 Crane RRs, stock cam, full exhaust and the car was lean. Did GT-40X 58cc, Trick Flow Trackheat intake, 24#s, a Pro-M, everything else was the same, and it went super lean. With the pro-m MAF and 24#s, still open cone filter on end of MAF. I can't remember off the top of my head if Pro-M has different ones for a cone filter on the end of the MAF. I saw C&L has different sampling tubes, but from what I've read about it, most people say its better to leave it stock. A lot of people recommend Pro-M though.

Last edited:
The X3Z, stock airbox and cobra MAF should work fine for your application with a stock airbox and flat panel filter. Mass air accommodates changes in airflow without a lot of argument or fussing. The engine may not develop all the HP it could with a custom dyno tune, but it should run reasonably well and develop enough HP to keep you busy trying to keep the car moving forward in a controlled manner. :)