Suspension Ye Olde Clunking Sound

Seph

Jun 29, 2015
Hi folks. Considering the amount of threads google yielded I guess the odd clunking sound from a lowered stang is pretty common.

Yet i have to find a single one that can pinpoint whats wrong or does sound close enough to follow up on, so here is the issue:

Recently (1-2 weeks ago) i started noticing a metallic clunk going over bumps. Speed is probably not too important as long as its >5mph but hard to hear at highway speeds.

I figured my suspension came loose somewhere so took the front wheels off to check. Found the tie rod ends shot. (Inners though didnt give an inch so figured it wasnt that) replaced both inner and ends, the latter with a bumpsteer kit to being the toe in back into factory specs.

Anyways. Didnt fix the issue. Had the guys at Firestone (yea yea i know but they do alignments well) look over the car and they suggested my rear control arm bearings were shot.

Bit skeptical considering it sounds like the noise comes from the middle or front and certainly occurs when my front whees hit bumps but ok. So today i got new LCAs and installed them. and lo and behold.... Its still clunking.

I have yet to mount the UCA but considering the old LCAs were a bit dryied out and had small cracks they didnt appear "shot".

Any other ideas (starting with the least expensive/scary source) where i can look?

Oh gave the mid pipes a good shake as well, but they do seem to be tight as well.

Any hints are much appreciated!

Ps: its a 2005 V6 convertible

• Sponsors (?)

And to answer my own question it turned out to be the swarbar end links. They started to come loose, so a bit of locktite and the sound disappeared.