Yes another A4LD Tranny Question.. Help!

Lex

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2004
Halifax NS. Canada
OK. I asked this before but I wasn't detailed as I was suppose to be. heres the scoop.

When I first bought my car, just 2 months ago. I had good power on climbing hills without any real performance problems. I did have a hard shifting problem and has a servo seal leak. So every second day I had to top up the tranny fluid. So in conclusion I had 1) Good performance on highway driving going up hills 2) Had a servo seal leak and bad modulator valve (tranny fluid in the vacuum lines, and eratic shifting).

Now heres the problem. I have since replaced the servo seal (no more fluid leaking) and replaced the modulator valve. I have no more leaks and the tranny shifts much smoother. BUT now I have no guts on hills. If I am in a 90 KM zone and start going up hill I can actually see my speedometer slowing down to about 65KMH - 70KMH (never did that before I replaced the parts). If I tramp on the pedal. Instead of getting a boost to go up hill, my car runs at about 4000 + RPMs but it still slowing down. Its alot like driving a standard and pressing the clutch in a little (riding the clutch effect). You have lots of power in the engine but no pull from the tranny. I really hope I'm making sense. Its hard to describe the problem. All I do know is that it all started happening after I changed the seal and modulator. Someone suggest I replace the tranny filter. I'm just trying a few more "cheap" fixes before going to a new tranny. Please Help

• Sponsors (?)

Change the Transmission to a T-5 :D

When you drive this car up these hills do you down shift it to drive instead of keeping it in Over drive? That is what I do and it keeps the A4LD from poping in and out of those gears causeing me to loose ground so to say. If you got this car nailed at 4k + going up these hills and your really slowing down I would think its the gutless 2.3L. These cars probly got 90-100 rwhp so going up a hill on that carring 3400-3800 lbs is a lot of work. If it was me I would try to boost the power by milling the head a hair and swaping in a T-5. Now that is just my opinion and comming from a guy who drives a 93' 2.3L w/A4LD with 130,000 on it.