Yet Another How's My 331 Combo Thread

thekid760

Sep 10, 2006
I'm currently in the process of building a na carb 331 for my 1965 Mustang.
First off, I already have the cam & headers & they were free, so that isn't changing (but will eventually get proper headers and custom cam).
I'm just looking for a fun streetable engine, nothing too crazy.

My Combo:

roller block Probed flattop 331 stroker kit 10.2:1 CR, romac ultra light balancer
Main girdle, Melling hv Oil pump, 7qt baffled pan
AFR 185cc #1422 58cc chambers with upgraded .600" valve springs
1.6 aluminum rr 7/16 stud, hyd lifters
TFS Stage 2 cam
Victor jr, holley 3310 750 vacuum secondaries manual choke carb,
3/8 fuel lines, Holley blue electric pump w/ regulator
rebuild stock distributor w/ petronix and 50,000 volt coil
1 1/2" 29" long headers 2 1/4" dual exhaust x-pipe 2chamber flowmasters.

I think I got it all, this will be mated to an AOD. Unsure about stall, but prob 2800-3200.

Flaws:
-Exhaust is too restrictive, but will upgrade that in future so that stays as is unfortunately.
- will a 110gph pump and 3/8" fuel lines be enough?
- Is vacuum sec necessary for my combo? what carb would you recommend?
- I know I need a custom cam, but it stays for now.

Any suggestions, comments? What do you think would be a good rev limit? Estimated hp/tq?

ShortBlockSpecks-TMD.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I have read that vacuum secondaries are always a good idea for a automatic. So if you want to keep it as street able as possible then go with them. That is very gross exhaust you are using. ( I realize you know this however, Maybe a 1 5/8 header would be better and a 2 1/2 exhaust aswell.) The fuel pump and lines should be just fine. As far as rev limit goes it really depends on the cam and the valve springs you have. If the cam wants to rev but the valve springs are not strong enough then obviously the rev limit will have to be lower otherwise valve float will be an issue. make sure to match springs with that cam.