• Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech

Yet another v8 swap

  • Thread starter Thread starter dulcimerbob
  • Start date Start date Sep 19, 2026
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
First Prev 2 of 3 Next Last

welder4956

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 28, 2003
247
114
53
Birmingham, AL
Sep 23, 2026
#21
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #21
dulcimerbob said:
Thanks , now I find there is not a blockplate repop available . I might have to try the larger bell . How would it work ? I have not bought an engine yet so I could go earlier on the flex plate with the 28oz. What would a shop charge for the mod if I go with the 90 motor ?
Click to expand...
There is a blockplate posted for sale on FB Marketplace for $61 with free shipping: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1560696771066882/?locale=sr_RS

Part number is same as the one in my car.
 
Reactions: dulcimerbob and LILCBRA

welder4956

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 28, 2003
247
114
53
Birmingham, AL
Sep 23, 2026
#22
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #22
dulcimerbob said:
Found an OEM housing . Now for the flexplate match for a 90 302
Click to expand...
California Performance Transmissions (aka Art Carr) can provide a 141 tooth flexplate with 50 oz. balance. It is a special order and price was around $300 last I heard. You will have to call them direct at (714) 901-3777 to place an order. I also have a spare out in the garage I may be willing to let go.

https://cpttransmission.com/
 
Reactions: Blackhawkxx, dulcimerbob and LILCBRA
I

IICrew

Mustang Master
Mar 29, 2020
486
621
113
USA
Sep 23, 2026
#23
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #23
My blue coup has an 89 crown vic roller motor mated to a c4 with a II bell, flex and torque converter. I had the 141 tooth flexplate rebalanced to 50 oz at a local engine builder. I did not have a II block plate so I used a plate from a random 302 truck engine and just cut off the starter area to fit close to the II's. It's not perfect but it ran fine.
 
Reactions: LILCBRA and dulcimerbob
I

IICrew

Mustang Master
Mar 29, 2020
486
621
113
USA
Sep 23, 2026
#24
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #24
Oil pan. You can use a front sump truck pan and pickup. That's how I did my 77 Cobra back around 1998. I used a 77 f150 pan and pickup. There are some hurdles. If going with power steering you will have to smash where the drop in the pan is for the sump. You only need about an inch. The II pan drops at almost 90 degrees. where the truck is closer to 75 degrees. I couldn't weld back then, I cant really weld now but I couldn't then either. So I used a BFH and "clearanced it". I had the old blackjack headers and used a stock starter. It was very tight but worked with the rad4 and stock II bell.
 
Reactions: LILCBRA
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#25
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #25
Thanks for all the replies . I'm trying to get an idea of parts and hacks associated with the swap . This is great. I just got the car and today is cleaning day. Mouse nests , grime inside and out . I figure it's easier to work on a clean beater. It's been sitting in a field for a good while .
 
Last edited: Sep 23, 2026
Reactions: LILCBRA
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#26
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #26
welder4956 said:
There is a blockplate posted for sale on FB Marketplace for $61 with free shipping: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1560696771066882/?locale=sr_RS

Part number is same as the one in my car.
Click to expand...
She gone
 
Reactions: welder4956

welder4956

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 28, 2003
247
114
53
Birmingham, AL
Sep 23, 2026
#27
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #27
dulcimerbob said:
She gone
Click to expand...
Did you buy it or someone else?
 
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#28
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #28
welder4956 said:
Did you buy it or someone else?
Click to expand...
someone else
 
Reactions: welder4956
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#29
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #29
IICrew said:
My blue coup has an 89 crown vic roller motor mated to a c4 with a II bell, flex and torque converter. I had the 141 tooth flexplate rebalanced to 50 oz at a local engine builder. I did not have a II block plate so I used a plate from a random 302 truck engine and just cut off the starter area to fit close to the II's. It's not perfect but it ran fine.
Click to expand...
Random truck sounds good . They do look similar .
 
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#30
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #30
dulcimerbob said:
Thanks for all the replies . I'm trying to get an idea of parts and hacks associated with the swap . This is great. I just got the car and today is cleaning day. Mouse nests , grime inside and out . I figure it's easier to work on a clean beater. It's been sitting in a field for a good while .
Click to expand...
I can't believe how well this car cleaned up and the original paint looks good after layers of nature scrubbed off . Pic later
 
Reactions: LILCBRA

Blackhawkxx

Mustang Master
Mar 3, 2023
542
529
103
Sep 23, 2026
#31
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #31
dulcimerbob said:
I just got the car and today is cleaning day.
Click to expand...
And no photos?????
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,508
5,503
194
Corn County USA
Sep 23, 2026
#32
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #32
dulcimerbob said:
I can't believe how well this car cleaned up and the original paint looks good after layers of nature scrubbed off . Pic later
Click to expand...

Hopefully the underside is as clean.
 
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#33
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #33
LILCBRA said:
Hopefully the underside is as clean.
Click to expand...
I got under it before I bought it and from what I could see it looked OK . One question I am looking at a 302 with the Mexican block , Edelbrock carb full engine . It has 351 heads . Will I have fitment issued with those heads ? BTW your two red rides are great.
 
Reactions: IICrew and LILCBRA

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,508
5,503
194
Corn County USA
Sep 23, 2026
#34
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #34
Thanks, though the red cars that I have are a parts car and my Fox GT convertible. I think you meant @IICrew

You won't have any issues if they're 351W heads, which I'd assume that they are. If they're 351C or 351M heads you'll have to have custom headers made as they're a different style.
 
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 23, 2026
#35
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • #35
LILCBRA said:
Thanks, though the red cars that I have are a parts car and my Fox GT convertible. I think you meant @IICrew

You won't have any issues if they're 351W heads, which I'd assume that they are. If they're 351C or 351M heads you'll have to have custom headers made as they're a different style.
Click to expand...
The engine is old 1970 . Been hot rodded and no documentation . I'm going to pass and get the 90 5.0 long block . very clean and turns nicely
 
Reactions: welder4956 and LILCBRA

welder4956

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 28, 2003
247
114
53
Birmingham, AL
Sep 24, 2026
#36
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • #36
dulcimerbob said:
She gone
Click to expand...
Here's another, but a little more money: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:daf0d18e-5b15-444c-8d45-53bf9323211f
 
Reactions: dulcimerbob
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Sep 24, 2026
#37
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • #37
welder4956 said:
Here's another, but a little more money: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/
welder4956 said:
Here's another, but a little more money: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/28126824503612277/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:daf0d18e-5b15-444c-8d45-53bf9323211f
Click to expand...

item/28126824503612277/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:daf0d18e-5b15-444c-8d45-53bf9323211f
Click to expand...
Thanks, pretty pricey .

IICrew said he used a 302 truck plate and it worked. They look pretty similar . There's a guy on FB that makes these but he hasn't given me a price. should I grab this one at 200.00 ?​

 
Last edited: Sep 24, 2026

welder4956

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 28, 2003
247
114
53
Birmingham, AL
Sep 24, 2026
#38
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • #38
dulcimerbob said:
Thanks, pretty pricey .

IICrew said he used a 302 truck plate and it worked. They look pretty similar . There's a guy on FB that makes these but he hasn't given me a price. should I grab this one at 200.00 ?​

Click to expand...
I think the only difference between a Mustang II block plate and other plates for a 302 is going to be starter location. If you put a 302 truck plate over the face of the Mustang II bell housing and the starter holes line up, then it should be fine. If not, then you would need to trim it to fit.
 
Reactions: LILCBRA and dulcimerbob
I

IICrew

Mustang Master
Mar 29, 2020
486
621
113
USA
Saturday at 7:48 AM
#39
  • Saturday at 7:48 AM
  • #39
Starter holes will not line up. I just trimmed that portion to fit the II bell. Not perfect but works fine. The starter bolts to the bell and engages fine.
 
Reactions: welder4956
D

dulcimerbob

Member
Aug 25, 2026
28
18
13
GA
Saturday at 9:33 PM
#40
  • Saturday at 9:33 PM
  • #40
IICrew said:
Starter holes will not line up. I just trimmed that portion to fit the II bell. Not perfect but works fine. The starter bolts to the bell and engages fine.
Click to expand...
Found a stock plate . Should have listened to you the first time. . the seller takes no returns . Live and learn .
 
Reactions: LILCBRA
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
First Prev 2 of 3 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Electrical Foxbody wiring harness 2.3 to v8 swap
  • Foxbodyjake
  • Mar 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
Kleinjj27
K
K
3.8 T5 & Bellhousing to 1987 Lincoln 5.0
  • ks65stang
  • Mar 2, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
3
Views
450
Other Auto Tech Mar 3, 2026
Noobz347
J
1996 v6-v8 swap
  • jujuonurmom
  • Oct 28, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
236
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Oct 28, 2025
jujuonurmom
J
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
887
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 11, 2026
02_2v_Curtis
0
R
Transmission for manual swapping a 1994-1995 GT
  • Rembrant
  • Jul 11, 2025
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
1K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jul 13, 2025
Rembrant
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?