Young artist rendering of my car...

BCB00GT

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
Thought I would share this with you guys. My neighbor wants to be a car designer when he gets older, he just turned 14. He has some decent talent for never really taking any classes. He wanted to go to the Autoshow in Detroit and visit some design school/college, but we live in the New Orleans area and he couldn't get there (financial, etc).

Anyway, I think it turned out pretty nice.

Last, does anyone know someone that does this for a career and share some advice for this young guy?

Attachments

• My_stang.jpg
    My_stang.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Sponsors (?)

Other than the tires/wheels looking a bit "different" from the rest of the drawing, that is awesome! I wish him luck in the future!

That was about the only thing I saw that was non-proportioned. I think he is still "learning" the 3D angle with smaller objects like that. He draws a new image quite often - practice makes perfect.

He has done a great Ferrari.

The indication of the reflections is REALLY good. I have doubts about a 14 year old artist because the indication is that good.

If you're looking for a school, the premiere design school for transportation design in the world is the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena CA. Their list of Alumni is impressive. Chip Foose, Chris Bangle, Ken Okuyama, Henrik Fisker, and Larry Shinoda etc etc.

Rather than post a huge thing about Art Center have your friend check out cardesignnews.com in addition to carbodynews.com . They have sections dedicated to schools. But like I said, Art Center is considered the best and therefore the most competitive to get in.

In addition to car design, Art Center is known for their entertainment design and product design. The school really is popular culture. Movies, sunglasses, cars, toasters. You could dedicate a huge coffee table book to the school and just be impressed with the talent that came out of that school.

Check it out

If he's serious about making a career out of it he needs to pump out atleast a decent picture a day. Get his portfolio up. Do study sketches/paints/details/drawings/color studys stuff like that. thats good for portfolios. Sadly though many high schools dont have competent art teachers to help out with the scholarship process so the student has to do a lot of the work on his/her own.

The indication of the reflections is REALLY good. I have doubts about a 14 year old artist because the indication is that good.

If you're looking for a school, the premiere design school for transportation design in the world is the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena CA. Their list of Alumni is impressive. Chip Foose, Chris Bangle, Ken Okuyama, Henrik Fisker, and Larry Shinoda etc etc.

Rather than post a huge thing about Art Center have your friend check out cardesignnews.com in addition to carbodynews.com . They have sections dedicated to schools. But like I said, Art Center is considered the best and therefore the most competitive to get in.

In addition to car design, Art Center is known for their entertainment design and product design. The school really is popular culture. Movies, sunglasses, cars, toasters. You could dedicate a huge coffee table book to the school and just be impressed with the talent that came out of that school.

Check it out

He is 14. Here are his two "art" webforum pages I found.

Local Motors - Portfolio: MBW17

MBWdesignz's deviantART gallery

I think the Ferrari looks pretty good.

Sadly though many high schools dont have competent art teachers to help out with the scholarship process so the student has to do a lot of the work on his/her own.

Isn't that the truth. And at the Junior High level (8th grade) it is almost non-existant. Yes, they may have a "art" class, but the teacher has no art training.

My brother is one of the head designers at GM, currently working on the trim package options for the new camaro.
He went to School in Detroit At CCS (Center for Creative Studies)
Tuition back in 1995 was 45000 a year plus living expenses. Plus he had to maintain a 4.0 just to stay in the school, otherwise they can and will drop you.
WAS NOT REALLY WORTH IT in my brothers opinion....

Isn't that the truth. And at the Junior High level (8th grade) it is almost non-existant. Yes, they may have a "art" class, but the teacher has no art training.

Yea, its almost horrifying what high school art teachers try to teach students. I can't tell you how many people ive had to teach how to setup a simple face sketch/body sketch. Teachers just dont know what to do and its pathetic. They stick to the more arts and crafts type of crap and that just looks rediculous in a portfolio.

Not bad. Not bad at all. FH circles can be tough, but he will develop a technique for it.

Also its good he dates and signs his work. I draw a lot of fantasy, comic/hero style stuff, and to this day I still look back on my old work, look at the date/year, and go heh...this is where I came from :)