Progress Thread “Rising from Ashes 4” 93 Notchback build

Damn! That car looked pretty good a few pages ago.
But I bet it looks better a few pages down the road!
I’ll be watching, wishing I could be doing this!

Reactions: 1 user
Sand. Strip and primer. Tech tip. Whether it’s metal, Fiberglass, urethane or plastic. The first layer of material should always be a DTM epoxy primer which is the black you see going on
Al

Reactions: 3 users
Is that a DTM epoxy? What product do you normally spray first when you strip to bare metal?

I'm looking to use a dustless blasting process to strip my '66. I'm sure I'll want to get it coated in something quickly.

@02 281 GT
Yep. That’s what you use. It’s a dtm primer and made for bare metal. What you want to do is have the car blasted...then when you get it back. Sand it with 80grit on a DA. Then pressure wash it. Wax and grease remover and finally 3 coats of SPI black epoxy. I’m doing a 56 F100 that’s being acid dipped. When it gets back, I’ll be doing that process as soon as it’s out of the enclosed trailer

About how much would I need for three coats on a '66 Mustang coupe? And where do you usually get it? I can't really find a place to order any online.

The company I'm planning to use is mobile, so I'll be able to do that process all in my driveway.

About how much would I need for three coats on a '66 Mustang coupe? And where do you usually get it? I can't really find a place to order any online.

The company I'm planning to use is mobile, so I'll be able to do that process all in my driveway.
Id get a gallon of the epoxy and 1 gallon of activator which gives you 2 sprayable gallons. It mixes 1:1

@95steedamustang first off, another great build that I'm going to follow. I'm guessing these photos are older? I only ask because do I spy the Cobra in the background in Primer?
Thanks man! These pics are pretty much current taken in the last 2-3 weeks. What you see is In some background is yet another customer build. 97 Saleen that’s getting a new GT350 drivetrain and the usual shaving and custom paint

How long can the DTM epoxy sit before laying down high build, essentially when would you need to create a mechanical
adhesion buy sanding epoxy ?
I have a buddy whose car has been on a rotisserie sitting in epoxy for about a year now, I know he's be past the re-coat window.