00 4.6 engine swap question

RedondosTires

Mar 1, 2011
Gardena
A buddy of mine had a question so I cam on here for some help..
He is working on a 2000 4.6 automatic, got a used engine from a 2000 manual. The car was shaking during decel. He figured there was something wrong with the used engine or maybe it wasnt compatible but couldnt find one off of an atomatic so he got another one from a manual car. The car is still shacking during decel but significantly less but still more than normal.
I'm pretty sure the engines from an automatic and a manual are the same but can anyone confirm this? Also any ideas of what can be causing the whole car to shake during deceleration?

• Sponsors (?)

Also any ideas of what can be causing the whole car to shake during deceleration?
As others have said, the motors ARE the same. The only difference is the flywheel/flexplate and pilot bearing.

As for the shaking, here are some things that come to mind:

• Automatic transmission torque convert not fully seated on the transmission input hub. Should be two definate "clicks/clunks" as the torque converter is installed. Also turning the motor backwards can un-seat the torque converter.
  • Motor mounts
  • transmission mounts.
  • U-joints
  • Drive shaft runout or out of balance. Was the drive shaft indexed before removal?
  • incorrect pinion bearing pre-load.

Note, if the torque converter is not fully seated, this will quickly ruin the motor from excessive load on the thrust bearing. As fast97 has stated that if the pilot bearing was not removed, then the TC will not fully seat inside the crank. This will cause the crank to push back on the TC. This in turn will wear out the motor's bearing from excessive load on the thrust bearing. Don't ignore this.