03-04 SVT cobra vs 04 Mach 1

fromadig91

Jul 27, 2008
So, the SVT obviously has the terminator engine with a cast iron block, however isn't it true that the Mach 1 also shares the same block as the cobra. So I guess what i'm asking here is....what is the sole difference between these 2 outside of the SVT coming supercharged?

If you were to have the option of a 03-04 SVT cobra or a KB Mach 1, what would be the actual difference power wise, what do the cobra's have that the mach 1's don't. I've heard the cobras can take 600+ RWHP without a problem....does the same go for the mach 1's?

• Sponsors (?)

the mach does not have the good internals. they have the same crappy rods and pistons as the GT.

the mach also has an aluminum block not the cast iron one like the cobra. really the only thing they have in common is the heads and if the mach is a manual they will have the same crank

From my understanding, the Machs, like the 99-01 cobras, do have slightly upgraded rods vs the GT to handle the 6800RPM redline. But they are made out of the same material as the Gts....along with the pistons, different compression but same crappy material.

Machs aluminum block will take 1000HP, so thats not a concern.

Terminator needs aftermarket blower or nitrous to make 600RWHP. However it can handle it EASILY. The machs limit is upper 4XX RWHP before it becomes dangerous.

A pullied/ported cobra should be about even with the adverage KB mach1....however the cobra will do it with no worries...I would be concerned about the machs engine until you forge the rods and pistons. (and crank if auto...as saleen said)

somewhere in the 99 range ford started putting the same 2v rods in cobras and mach1's. the bean counters figured there was no reason for spending extra money. but that's just rumored.

the better rods are from 93-98 4v's for sure. but crap with that being said, late model 3v pistons handle 500rwhp OR (350rwhp and 7000 rpms).

we have an 05 who revvs to that with a 175 shot. 415rwhp and 7000 rpms. stock internals. h's been running it for years now.

so my guess is 05+ 3v's are rods like the 93-98's.

The Mach 1 has low rent cast pistons, they aren't even hypers. They also have weak rods. Get the 03-04 if you want to really build something and go fast.

They maybe low rent but they hold up to boost just as well as the pistons in earlier 4V's. I wouldn't push them much past 450RWHP but at that level they do okay.

All things being equal if you can get an 03/04 for the same price as a Mach 1 then do it as you have a better base to start off with that makes great power already. Deciding factor for me was I wasn't looking for a car that made big power just a nice clean daily driver and the 03/04's I looked at were either abused at decent prices or immaculate at ridiculous prices and the insurance was nearly double (for me) over a Mach 1.

Bill