03 Gt Fan Fuse Keeps Blowing Instantly???

Hot Rod Will

Jul 26, 2017
I have a 2003 gt, and it is having problems with the fan, the fan wont run at all. The 50 amp fuse for the fan keeps blowing out in about 10 seconds after starting my car. I changed the thermostat, bought a complete new fan assembly, and a new CCRM to fix this issue, but the fuse still keeps blowing almost instantly. I am not sure what else could be the issue, anyone else have any ideas on what it could be? or has anyone had this issue before?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a big believer in occam's razor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Well........Given the parts that you have replaced Occam's Razor would say that your problem HAS to be a wiring harness fault. Likely a short to ground somewhere in the wiring harness. Given that the fuse does not blow until the motor is started, the fault is most likely between the CCRM and the fan.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter (VOM)? If so, disconnect the fan's electrical connector. Measure the key off resistance from the body side fan connector back to battery negative. Be sure to zero the meter before testing. Post the results. For the black wire the resistance should be low. For the other two wires the resistance should be very high.

When looking for a wiring harness fault it's also very effective to perform a visual inspection of the wiring harness. Look for any evidence of physical (or rodent activity) damage to the harness.

I'm also assuming that you have inspected the fan connector itself looking for evidence of over heating.

The other possibility is a "modification" done to the car. Tell us about any "special" modifications done to this car. Big radio? Headlights?