04 GT - What should I do next?

Narshadda

May 26, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

Thanks for checking out the thread - I'd really like everyone's take on what I should do next to my 04 GT.

Here is a list of my current mods:

1. Eibach Pro Kit Springs
2. Fenderwell CAI
3. Underdrive Pulleys
4. Steeda Shifter (
5. Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body
6. SCT Xcal2 with Steeda Tune
7. Hancook Tires at the rear 275/45/17
8. Trick Flow TB Plenum
9. MAC Catback & Off Road Prochamber
10. 4.10 Gears
11. Brembo OEM Rotors (Cross Drilled, Slotted, Chamfered, Zinc Washed by sportbrakes.com)

This is my daily driver so I would like reliability to be a factor. I have about $3K to spend without having my wife divorce me so I definitely want to keep it in that range.

One thing I do not want to do is Nitrous or a Supercharger. Superchargers are going for $4K-$5k installed which puts them out of my price range.

I had thought of going Stage II cams, Ported Heads but I am not sure if the increase would be worth the $$$.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks all,

Narsh

• Sponsors (?)

Hey all,

Thanks for checking out the thread - I'd really like everyone's take on what I should do next to my 04 GT.

Here is a list of my current mods:

1. Eibach Pro Kit Springs
2. Fenderwell CAI
3. Underdrive Pulleys
4. Steeda Shifter (
5. Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body
6. SCT Xcal2 with Steeda Tune
7. Hancook Tires at the rear 275/45/17
8. Trick Flow TB Plenum
9. MAC Catback & Off Road Prochamber
10. 4.10 Gears
11. Brembo OEM Rotors (Cross Drilled, Slotted, Chamfered, Zinc Washed by sportbrakes.com)

This is my daily driver so I would like reliability to be a factor. I have about $3K to spend without having my wife divorce me so I definitely want to keep it in that range.

One thing I do not want to do is Nitrous or a Supercharger. Superchargers are going for $4K-$5k installed which puts them out of my price range.

I had thought of going Stage II cams, Ported Heads but I am not sure if the increase would be worth the $$$.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks all,

Narsh

You will save TONS of cash if you do in the install yourself. It's not very hard, if you have basic mechanical car knowledge. I picked up my entire kit for 2 grand. Including the tune, it cost about 2700 dollars. That's with the FMIC, BPV, and all the other goodies.

First thing you need to do absolutely before you do anything else is dampers. You have aftermarket springs, you really need to match a new set of dampers to them. Then get it aligned.

Thanks for the replies!

Kaostik, I thought about headers, but I have heard that shorty's are not much better than stock ones and I just got the O/R Prochamber put on about two months ago. As far as performance goes, I think the car handles fine with the ~1.25 inch drop so my main focus is HP/Torque.

Mustang5l5, the 13 inchers are definitely on the big list for next year the rotors I just put on the car are awesome and it is stopping on a dime with little fade so I will get the upgrade after the next big power upgrade.

lvmustanggt, I saw that same SQ Trim on their site the other day, I was just put off by the installation charge. I can do small things like installing the TB, the CAI, and maybe even the plenum with the right tools but I don' think I can do an S/C on my own.

the98stang, where did you get the kit? Was it a procharger or Novi system? I always wanted to stick with Vortech but the price of the others is very enticing I must admit.
And I will have to do some research on the install as well - since this is my daily driver, I would have to have it all done in a weekend tops.

kilgore Trout, I got the springs put in about 15K miles ago and it is really doing fine, is there any specific reason you had about getting the dampers in? I kinda always figured that as a secondary thing.

svtpower, same question... I agree totally that overall the car would do much better with the subframe connectors, sway, anti-roll dampers etc.. but is there anything specific that you guys noticed or just the overall ride kicks butt with the upgrade?

Again, thanks so much for the replies fellas - I really do appreciate the insight.

-Narsh

To be honest it's going to be a "Which one do I do first?", instead of "Which one am I going to do?" Of course the heads and cams will be worth it, especailly once the SC is installed. The SC and ported heads and cams will only compliment each other.

Think about it. If you get the SC you are going to have a lot of air going in, but it's performance is going to be somewhat restricted by the stock heads and cams.

Example: Let's say you're making about 300HP now. Add a SC with about 8lbs of boost and now you're making about 400HP with stock heads and cams.
Now put that same SC with the same amount of boost on your car with ported heads and cams, now you're making about 450-475HP (depending on cam). Now you've increase HP without increasing boost...:)

P.S....Methanol Injection Kit....:nice:

depends

On a daily driver, shocks and struts will make a night and day difference. It gets rid of that driving a boat feeling when you turn the wheel to the right and then left right away.

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=842

bilsteinpackage.jpg

I'm a big fan of subframes too, overall they just stiffen up the frame and put more of your power to the ground. I notice more stabilty say turning into an uphill driveway or going over railroad tracks, but I could also chirp the tires shifting at a lower rpm after I got my subframes.

the98stang, where did you get the kit? Was it a procharger or Novi system? I always wanted to stick with Vortech but the price of the others is very enticing I must admit.
And I will have to do some research on the install as well - since this is my daily driver, I would have to have it all done in a weekend tops.

I bought the kit used from the for sale section at modular depot. It's the vortech strim. If you start on a friday you can have the install done by monday definitely. The Vortech instructions are super descriptive and easy to go by.

THanks again everyone!

I like the idea of doing the S/C and then adding in the cams and heads. I'll have to save up for that then maybe buy it this year and get it installed down the road. I took a look at the instructions and the whole "tapping into the oil tank" scared the crap out of me. :)

The suspension upgrades are probably among the most affordable and will more than likely end up winning.

Thanks again,

Narsh

THanks again everyone!

I like the idea of doing the S/C and then adding in the cams and heads. I'll have to save up for that then maybe buy it this year and get it installed down the road. I took a look at the instructions and the whole "tapping into the oil tank" scared the crap out of me. :)

The suspension upgrades are probably among the most affordable and will more than likely end up winning.

Thanks again,

Narsh

Tapping the oil pan isn't hard it's just time consuming. You just have to take your time, so you don't ruin the pan, or dick up the measurements.