1 wire Alternator for 83 Mustang 5.0

Stang8URMPRT

Dec 28, 2003
Daytona Beach, FL
I just bought a 150 AMP alt from Alterstart on Ebay. I have searched through numerous threads here and have not found one on this subject, so don't flame me...

My car differs from the 86-93 Mustangs as the battery and starter solenoid are on the passanger side. All the wiring kits for these 1 wire alts are for the 86-93 Stangs, and I will only need a 1-2 foot 0 gauge cable. Will one from a parts store, ie Autozone/Discount/Advanced, work or is the connector on the back of the alt a different size? Any help would be great. Thanks

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

PA-Performance has premade wire kits for pretty much all applications. I think this is the one that you need:

For vehicles where the alternator and starter relay/battery are on the same side of the vehicle, the SHORT kit is required. Examples would be 85 and older Mustang 5.0, early 90's and older F-Series

· SHORT Kits include: large #4 ultra-flexible ruby-red Stereo Grade wire with sealed 360° crimped terminals, 200 amp in-line fuse and holder with mounting screws

You could make one up yourself but if you want a premade deal, that should do it.

The power output from the alternator is a 1/4" bolt with a plastic insulator mount. If you use a off the shelf battery cable, you may have to file the OD of the crimp on lug to get it to fit down inside the plastic insulator that keeps the lug from turning..

I just ordered the short kit, but it says that is should not replace the stock wiring, but an add-on to the stock wiring... I made a 4 gauge cable from the back of my stock alt to the starter solenoid because it was starting to come apart (gotta love old cars), so should I just add this kit on to that cable I already have on there, or just replace it with this cable kit. Also, is 4 gauge big enough for a 150 amp alt. I know the alt only puts out as much as needed, and I won't use that many amps, but I wanted a big output amp just for insurance...

A 2 gauge wire with a 150 amp fuse would be better for a 150 amp alt. It should be the only connection between the alternator & starter solenoid. Don't cut any of the old wires, tie wrap them up & out of the way. That way if you ever needed to go back to the stock alternatorfor an emergency repair, its a easy bolt up.