10.5 inch clutch upgrade question for 1983 Mustang GT

fairlaner

Sep 13, 2008
I am in the process of fixing the rear seal on my 1983 Mustang GT with a 302 putting out about 330HP (with 12.5 compression) and a T5 tranny from a 1985 Mustang. I am also replacing the clutch and while the original has held up OK I am looking to upgrade my clutch situation. The car is mostly used on the street with hopefully more occasional track time. I am interested in a street clutch set up that will hold up to some track rigors. I also want the flywheel and clutch to be quality units as I have long tube headers and don't plan on going through the rigors of putting in a scattershield bellhousing. I am currently thinking about going from a 10" to a 10.5" clutch by getting a flywheel for a 1986+ Mustang and using a Ford King Cobra clutch set up. I was wondering if anyone coudl help with some guidance such as:
1) Can I bolt a 10.5" Mustang flywheel and clutch set up into an 1983 GT using the same stock bell housing without clearnance problems?
2) Does anyone have any feedback on the King Cobra clutch for my intended use? Any other clutch set up suggestions, i.e. Spec, Centerforce, etc.
3) Any suggestions on quality flyhwheels from Ford or the aftermarket?
4) Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your time

• Sponsors (?)

On my 82 I got a flywheel that had a dual bolt pattern. I have the larger clutch in my ride with a ram clutch and i have no problems with my 345HP engine. Where my problem lays is in rear traction! LOL

With a 10.5" clutch, you might find you need to grind a little material away in the bellhousing for it to clear.

You could look for an E6 bellhousing out of an 86-93 Mustang