13 inch rotors/brake upgrade - discbrakesrus.com

gary_g

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2002
AZ
Anyone have a cobra brake conversion kit from discbrakesrus.com? I was thinking about getting the full front and back conversion with 13" slotted/drilled rotors they have for $1092... Seemed like a pretty good deal... It even came with stainless braided brake lines.

Anyone have a kit from there? Or anything else in the price range that you would recommend?

-g

• Sponsors (?)

01BlkGT said:
I got the front brake kit (blk with white pony) and have no problems with them. Good luck on the install.

sweet! any noticable braking improvements with the 13" rotor?

One thing I found out is that the stainless braided brake lines are only for the front rotors.. No big deal I guess, since those are the important ones anyways. Something else that they offered that I thought was cool, was an option to powder coat the rotor itself. This seemed stupid at first, since of course it would rub off as soon as you hit the brakes. However, what he said was that it keeps the outside and the area around the hub from rusting, since the powder coat doesn't get rubbed off there..

Pretty cool IMHO, especially for brownie points at shows... :D

I'd also have to say that the customer service was great. The guy I spoke to, Jeff, really took the time to explain everything to me and make sure I got everything I needed. Here's what I ended up getting:

• 13" front rotors, 11" rear rotors drilled and slotted
  • new calipers all the way around powder coated blue ($1092 included everything so far)
  • hawk brake pads (+$69 x 2)
  • powder coated rotors (+$49 x 2)
  • cobra rear flange bracket (+$99)

I'd have to admit they got me on the impulse purchases, but for around $1500 shipped, it's an amazing deal compared to any of the brempo/baer kits. I could have easily saved 300 or so bucks by just getting the kit too, but I just got a raise so I said what the hell. :)

we'll see though when I get everything

-g

Sorry off-topic, but congrats Firemanz on the new car. What did you do with the old one? Performance Red was the best color, what color is the new one?
Back on topic, I thought the 13 inch upgrade only helps to reduce brake fad, not reduce stopping distances (the Cobra/Mach kit only). Either way, anything has to be better than the stock POS.

gary_g said:
sweet! any noticable braking improvements with the 13" rotor?

One thing I found out is that the stainless braided brake lines are only for the front rotors.. No big deal I guess, since those are the important ones anyways. Something else that they offered that I thought was cool, was an option to powder coat the rotor itself. This seemed stupid at first, since of course it would rub off as soon as you hit the brakes. However, what he said was that it keeps the outside and the area around the hub from rusting, since the powder coat doesn't get rubbed off there..

Pretty cool IMHO, especially for brownie points at shows... :D

I'd also have to say that the customer service was great. The guy I spoke to, Jeff, really took the time to explain everything to me and make sure I got everything I needed. Here's what I ended up getting:

• 13" front rotors, 11" rear rotors drilled and slotted
  • new calipers all the way around powder coated blue ($1092 included everything so far)
  • hawk brake pads (+$69 x 2)
  • powder coated rotors (+$49 x 2)
  • cobra rear flange bracket (+$99)

I'd have to admit they got me on the impulse purchases, but for around $1500 shipped, it's an amazing deal compared to any of the brempo/baer kits. I could have easily saved 300 or so bucks by just getting the kit too, but I just got a raise so I said what the hell. :)

we'll see though when I get everything

-g

Just be forewarned, if you have crappy wheels that you dont care about, then put those on before you try out the brakes. The paint off the rotors (cause they paint the WHOLE rotor) will splat and paste itself off all over the rim inside and out. Also, if u have crappy pads you dont care about then use those to scrape off the paint unless you want to take off the pads in a few days to clean off all the junk paint that has burned itself onto the pad and in between the cracks. These are the things they dont tell you when your order that option (and I'd rather not say how I know all this :mad: ). Also, its going to take quite a few miles for the paint to completely wipe off the rotor (b/c you dont want to slam on the brakes as b/c the rotors are seasoned nor the pads). Truthfully, I wish I'd had just gotten the powerslot rotors (not for the looks, but for the anti-rusting) and not messed with the powder-coated crap. Looks like that's what I'm going to be doing in a few months anyways, but besides that the car brakes like nothing before. I credit to the pads (SBS), but no fade even after the Baer brake-in period and tremendous brake feel now with the SS lines.

BurlyStang said:
I found this thread on a search, first try and found what I'm looking for. I want to upgrade the fronts drilled and slotted to 13". There are a lot of choices on that website.

I have the 13" kit and yes they stop MUCH better than the stock ones did.
My rotors were not painted and I doubt they would paint ANY rotor.

Sleepy1 said:
Sorry off-topic, but congrats Firemanz on the new car. What did you do with the old one? Performance Red was the best color, what color is the new one? .

Thanks man. The new color is Redfire and it looks awesome in the sunlight! The old one got stripped and traded in for this one. :)

Lawrence

The problem with drilled and slotted rotors (or just drilled for that matter) is that they tend to crack. Professionals recommend that if you do any road racing or drive it real hard on the street with hard braking, that you use the slotted rotors only. They have MUCH less tendancy to crack, and you actually get more braking surface with the slotted rotors. I will be getting the front Cobra/Bullitt brake kit with silver calipers/black pony. Any other suggestions for colors for my car? Pics in sig. :D :nice:

Good luck with your install and let us know how it goes! :flag:

I think this whole bit about drilled rotors cracking is a bit of a urban legend.
Yes they do crack but very rarely and almost never under street conditions.

I put up a poll about craked rotors on another BB and NOBODY said they had ever had a cross-drilled rotoe crack. :shrug:

miles davis said:
I think this whole bit about drilled rotors cracking is a bit of a urban legend.
Yes they do crack but very rarely and almost never under street conditions.

I put up a poll about craked rotors on another BB and NOBODY said they had ever had a cross-drilled rotoe crack. :shrug:

All that extra money (typically TWICE as much as the same rotors non-drilled) for what? Oh yea and there's a chance they might crack easier...forget that.

kirkyg

KStrike155 said:
The problem with drilled and slotted rotors (or just drilled for that matter) is that they tend to crack. Professionals recommend that if you do any road racing or drive it real hard on the street with hard braking, that you use the slotted rotors only. They have MUCH less tendancy to crack, and you actually get more braking surface with the slotted rotors. I will be getting the front Cobra/Bullitt brake kit with silver calipers/black pony. Any other suggestions for colors for my car? Pics in sig. :D :nice:

Good luck with your install and let us know how it goes! :flag:

This is what your calipers will look like:

mvc004s.jpg