15x8 Wheels, 245/60r15 Tires On A 65. Is It Possible?

duo_z

Jan 24, 2009
Has anyone gotten 245/60R15's under the rear on a 65 mustang? I know I would have to roll the lips on the quarter panels, but could I get away without cutting the wheel wells? I am having the rear axle built for me, so the wheel placement can be where ever I want. I'm hoping to keep it at stock height or lower it 1". If not 245/60R15's how about 235/60R15's? I will be going with 225/60R15's on the front.

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone gotten 245/60R15's under the rear on a 65 mustang? I know I would have to roll the lips on the quarter panels, but could I get away without cutting the wheel wells? I am having the rear axle built for me, so the wheel placement can be where ever I want. I'm hoping to keep it at stock height or lower it 1". If not 245/60R15's how about 235/60R15's? I will be going with 225/60R15's on the front.

I think that it might be possible, but I can tell you that changing the axle width is not necessarily going to help. A wide tire on an 8" wide, 4.5"BS rim will rub the leaf springs before it makes contact with the inner wheelwells. The quarters will always be a concern if you have someone in the back seat.

i had 245 60s under my 65 fast back .had to roll the the wheel lips front and rear
to clear.it is going to depend on the rim and back spacing. 235s should work but i would recamend rolling the wheel lips any way.
Picture 051.jpg

i had 245 60s under my 65 fast back .had to roll the the wheel lips front and rear
to clear.it is going to depend on the rim and back spacing. 235s should work but i would recamend rolling the wheel lips any way.
Picture 051.jpg

I've got 15x8 rims with a 4.5 inch backspace. Did you have any problems bottoming out? And was it stock, lifted, or lowered?

4 1/2 rear leaf with 1 inch shelby drop in the front 600 # springs the wheels were an origional set of 7 inch torque thrust d . the wheel lips were rolled and the sharp edge along the bottom of the wheel tub was slightly rolled away from the tire. never hit front or rear.65-66 is fairly narrow in the rear wheel tub not sure if 8 inch wheel will clear,4.5 back space may be very close to the leafs .have you tried a wheel by its selfe
just to see what you have for clearance? a tire with a more rounded outer edge like the B.F.G.s i had will help a little

An 8" with 4.5" backspace on a 15" rim will clear the leaf springs. I used a set on my car before the mini tub with zero issues with the springs or inner wheel well. The drag slicks that were mounted to them were 26" tall and 10" wide and the rim was 15". Sectional width is supposed to be 11.2. Its the overall cross sectional width of the tires that can cause an issue--mostly at the quarterpanel with these rims. My quarter panel was "stretched" out 3/4" with a hydraulic jack and the wheel lips were rolled some 30+ years ago when I first did the body work.

The following photos show the car with the 8", 4.5bs rims and the 10" tread tires:

l_ad369dabb46f40ae85eaaf708ece42cb.jpg

Look closely and you can see the clearance with the leafs:

201020f3.jpg

Right now I don't have a rear axle at all. When I bought the car original rear axle was nearly rusted into oblivion. So I can't try mounting anything. I have a jig from the guy modifying a 9" for me that the wheel and tires get bolted to, to find the correct length of the axle. I'm just trying to get some ball park ideas before I start having people mounting and removing tires. Currently I'm going with the BFG Radial T/A's. They seem to be a good tire for every day driving and maybe the occasional fun. I figure I will get a different set of rims and tires for any racing I might do. I will have them mounted and give you all an update.