15x8 with 4 1/2 backspace question (biggest tire?)

tonylittell

Sep 1, 2004
have a set of weld draglites that are a 15x8.... they are 4.5 backspace and i am trying to figure the biggest tire that i can get and not rub. i had 275/50s on it but the wheel well cut the sidewall of the tires and im not what to replace it with. any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

its not the tire size its the backspacing, 15x8 with 4.5"bs is junk, trade it for a 5.5"bs wheel, will look 10x better and wont rub, you may still have to roll the fender lip tho

i like the lip on a 4.5 back spacing wheel... i have 5.5 on my drag car and there is almost no lip at all.... thats why i am asking the biggest tire i can put on my street car on a 4.5 and not rub. if a 245 or 255 60 is the biggest i can go, then so be it. just want the biggest tire i can fit and not rub with the lip i like on the wheel

thanks for your help

I think that even a 245 or 255 will rub, like i said before, its not the tire, that backspacing makes the rim stick out too far, you could put airbags in the springs, but then its gonna give you a sweet redneck 4x4 stance and the ride quality will suck.

to really do it right you could narrow the rearend, and run a even bigger dish. i had the 15x8's with 5.5" bs, now i switched to a 15x10 with a 6.5" backspace, Ive been told the bigger wheel with more BS can fit more tire. Visibly my BFG's on a 10" rim compared to MT's mounted on a V6 wheel are at least an inch wider per side.