18x10 wheel/tire combo

FLY2kGT

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2001
Pinellas Park, FL
****EDITED TO CLARIFY AGAIN****

First off, let me preface my question by saying that I did do a search of the site and came up nothing but confused. The posts are so jumbled and mixed it's hard to make sense of most of them, much less find out exactly what I need to know.

Basically I want to put as much tire out back as possible without having to get a tune. (This is for a '05 or newer Mustang)

I'm interested in getting new wheels/tires and was curious as to what the widest tire anyone has put on a 18x10 wheel without having to mess with the puter? (I know the width doesn't affect the computer, but need to know the cross section and aspect ratio)

If you are running a 18x10 on the rear, what wheel/tire size are you running in the front?

Please be as specific as possible in regards to tire manufacturer and size and only reply if you have 18x10 wheels or have first hand knowledge of this topic please.

I don't want this thread turning into a suggestion box, just facts that myself and others may use.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

tire width does not affect the computer calibration for the speedo. tire heigth DOES make a difference.

official_style has 18x10s on all 4 corners.

here is his set up:

Brand: american racing
Model: torq thrust II
Wheel Diameter: 18x10 front and back
Offset: 7.25" backspace same for front and back

Did you need/use a spacer? nope

tires
Brand: dunlop
Model: 9000
Size: 285/40/18

stocked out suspension

i have seen 305s on some cars, but IIRC they were 20" tires. 295 is also a common size. look for the tires you want to use, then check out their specs. find a tire that is close to 27", then you wont have to mess with the speedo calibration.

the width of the tire will not make a difference but the diameter will. So as long as you stay close to the stock diameter of 27.177 inches (235/55/17) you wont have any problem. If you are going to go with 18x9" wheel a 255/45/18 tire would be a good fit the tire has a diameter of 27.035. But if you went with a 255/50/18 it has a diameter of 28.039 and then you would need to look at adjusting the computer. here's a link that should helps it has a lot of good info. on it. hope this helps good luck.

http://www.americanracing.com/techcenter/index.asp?filename=main&section=tech#

Bigcat...285/40/18 Thank you.

ks44142...thank you, but I specifically mentioned that I wanted info on the widest tire being run on a 18x10 because that is the rim size i'm interested in.

I edited my original post to clarify my request.

My 06 roush has 18 x 10 all around with 275/40/18 Michilln Pilot Sports all around. No problems with rubbing and the computer was not flashed from the factory. There is room for wider tires. I researched the tires and they are around $320.00 each.:bang:

I have Nitto 305/45/18 DRs on 10 inch deep dish rear wheels. I also have Steeda springs back there. There is not much room back there for a larger tire. Not sure a 315/45/18 would clear. Back space is 45.

i have bf goodrich kdw 285/40/18 on a 10 inch wheel in the rear it fits fine and may be able to go a littel wider but you would need to change the offset of the rim to keep it in the wheel well. i have 255/45/18 in the front on a 9 inch wheel. the wheels i have are the Mustang Tuning deep dish bullets. Hope this helps.