Paint and Body 1962 Impala - Bodywork

I don't know about you, but it's only going to be 85 here today! It's 81 right now. Last Sat at this time it was 97. Feels like fall is teasing me. I might wash my Avalanche today! It sure needs it.

Hopefully TG gets the picture and steps up. But if not, I look forward to more updates on the blue car!

• Sponsors (?)

Weather did take a turn for the better Drew.

I haven't needed to work this weekend, which is nice, I've been getting kind of worn out lately with all the extra work.

TG said he was going to get the left quarter done this weekend, i'll text him in a little bit to see if he kept his word.

Next weekend i'm painting a buddy's '72 short wide chevy p/u. So no impala next weekend.

Updates are coming for the blue car. It will be taken out of the yard in about three weeks and going to my storage unit. My red car should be gone in a couple weeks.

Lots of changes, and I will be able to work on the blue car again since it won't be locked up in a salvage yard anymore. I will probably be pulling the engine out shortly after it's in storage.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey dave, do ya have a patio you can just sit and relax with a beer? Kinda sounds like your do for some dave time. Maybe sneek over to the neighbors patio or just drop by a ramdon high end hotel and sit by the pool for a while. You need a break.
Then you can get after that blue car with a renewed attitude.

Haven't heard a peep out of TG concerning the Impala in almost a week. That's Ok, I needed a break from it.

So, this weekend I'm painting a '72 short/wide chevy p/u. It's prepped and I spent the day masking and cleaning today. I'll paint it tomorrow morning.

It's going to rain tonight and be in the sixties tomorrow morning! In the middle of August! Freak perfect painting opportunity.

I'll give you the details on this one if anyone is interested. I'm posting what I'm doing on this because it's a chevy and I will paint it red. Seems like I thought I would be painting the impala about this time when I started on it. Kind of a surrogate impala to balance my world out....:nonono:

Here's a couple pictures after having wrapped it up. It had been painted once before. The paint job was very orange peely. The bodywork apparently lacked a bit of desirability too. I didn't do the bodywork or much of the prepping on this one and my buddy understands my paint job is NOT responsible for any shoddy prep work. I did make sure that the paint will at least adhere.:nice:

First picture was after blowing the dust off and wiping the areas down that I'll mask too.
IMG_3347.JPG

Then masked and the shop blown out for the first time. The doors were shut right at the same time as this picture. I'll blow the shop out twice tomorrow morning. When I first get there, let it settle, and then again close to the panels where the overspray air could kick dust up.
IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_3350.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I love that generation truck. I had a 70 once. It was in great shape. Tiny bit of cab corner rust on the ps where the jack goes and one cab support was rusty. That was it. SWB too. The bed floor looked like it had never carried mulch. BUT, the bed rails...oh man. The guy a bought it from, (well his neighbor, he was laid up in the VA hospital) was a HAM nut. The bed rails must have had, no lie, 100 holes drilled in them for various antenna, I guess. None were on it, but in place of the glove box door was a piece of sheet metal that had several transmitters. I had to remove that and leave it. Thank god he hadn't hacked the dash up. Went to the junk yard and got a glove box door and the actual fiber board box and the interior was perfect. EXCEPT for the seat. It was made of 3 2x6's for the seat and 3 more for the seat back. The wood was mounted to RAILROAD track iron. Swear to god, it must've weighed 300 lbs. The ps front drum brake line was disconnected and crimped....made the test drive very interesting. It missed and ran like crap. Bought it for $700, did the brakes, a complete tune-up, got some chrome wheels for free from a neighbor and some used tires. It looked pretty good. I put a JC Whitney dual exhaust on it and replaced every gasket. Had it about a year and sold it for $2700. This was back in the early 90's. Wish I still had it!!!

Dave, quick question....in the last pic of the ps of the cab. What's the white lines in the door jam? Seam sealer??

I love that generation truck. I had a 70 once. It was in great shape. Tiny bit of cab corner rust on the ps where the jack goes and one cab support was rusty. That was it. SWB too. The bed floor looked like it had never carried mulch. BUT, the bed rails...oh man. The guy a bought it from, (well his neighbor, he was laid up in the VA hospital) was a HAM nut. The bed rails must have had, no lie, 100 holes drilled in them for various antenna, I guess. None were on it, but in place of the glove box door was a piece of sheet metal that had several transmitters. I had to remove that and leave it. Thank god he hadn't hacked the dash up. Went to the junk yard and got a glove box door and the actual fiber board box and the interior was perfect. EXCEPT for the seat. It was made of 3 2x6's for the seat and 3 more for the seat back. The wood was mounted to RAILROAD track iron. Swear to god, it must've weighed 300 lbs. The ps front drum brake line was disconnected and crimped....made the test drive very interesting. It missed and ran like crap. Bought it for $700, did the brakes, a complete tune-up, got some chrome wheels for free from a neighbor and some used tires. It looked pretty good. I put a JC Whitney dual exhaust on it and replaced every gasket. Had it about a year and sold it for $2700. This was back in the early 90's. Wish I still had it!!!

Dave, quick question....in the last pic of the ps of the cab. What's the white lines in the door jam? Seam sealer??
Yep seam sealer.

I got the p/u painted today. I forgot the fun of painting a vehicle in a non vented shop.
IMG_3351.JPG
IMG_3352.JPG

It actually turned out pretty nice though i could hardly see the panels on the second coat of clear. This is about a s good a picture as I could get of how it laid out. Sikkens Autoclear III is very pretty clear.:nice:
IMG_3353.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I got the p/u painted today. I forgot the fun of painting a vehicle in a non vented shop.
IMG_3351.JPG
IMG_3352.JPG

It actually turned out pretty nice though i could hardly see the panels on the second coat of clear. This is about a s good a picture as I could get of how it laid out. Sikkens Autoclear III is very pretty clear.:nice:
IMG_3353.JPG
Wow, that looks like my garage the last time I sprayed with a conventional gun, lol. I could barely see what I was spraying in front of me toward the end of shooting.

Wow, that looks like my garage the last time I sprayed with a conventional gun, lol. I could barely see what I was spraying in front of me toward the end of shooting.
I couldn't see the rocker panels on the second coat of clear!

Still better than when I was young shooting in someone's garage with and incandescent light bulb hanging above the roof though.

Rolling rock in a can? Never seen that! Used to get a bunch of Rocks and work on the Buick back in the day! The pic looks like my glasses fogged up when I get out of my truck when it's 100 outside.

Ok, I said I wasn't going back to the Impala until TG did the bodywork on the left quarter....:nonono:

So, here's what I've been doing with my Saturday
image.jpg

I'm getting ready to spread the glaze coat now.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep saying I'm not going to do the bodywork and I wait a week or two.

Then I find out he hasn't done anything, so the IRS wants money, off I go to do bodywork then.

Anyhow, a picture in glaze. I primered it after, didn't get a picture though. The bodywork wore me out, I just want to sit and drink beer now.:nice::cheers:
IMG_3357.JPG

I have a feeling that tg is going to need a beer or two after you give him 'the what for' and the bill.
I've been getting payed every saturday during a week that I work. It's much easier this way. If at the end of the week either of us wants or needs to stop, we're balanced out.