1966 Front Sheetmetal installation order/process

I have a '66 and am ready to hang the front end on the car this weekend. I cannot find an order to do it or procedure. Is there a good place to look that I have missed? Right now the hood and latch are on as well as bumper brackets/braces. I assume that next is fenders loose, then splash shield, then grille/headlight buckets, then tighten fenders, then headlight doors, then lower valence, then bumper last? I bought the car in pieces so I didn't take it apart. I have added a MonteCarlo bar so the shock tower spread appears good. Anybody have a kick in the right direction for me?

• Sponsors (?)

In general, you line your doors up with the quarters and rockers first....then your fenders to the doors and tweak to the hood as needed, or so I understand...not there yet myself. I plan to work my way from the quarters forward.

OK, thanks. Drivers door is original, Passenger door is vintage used. I replaced the hinge bushings/pins. I lined up the doors with the qtrs and they shut nice. Put the hood on (used vintage hood) original hinges. It fits nice with the cowl. So fenders next? Fenders are both vintage used with rear lower corners replaced. Grille is vintage used (conglomeration of at least 4 cars). The splash shield and valence are new aftermarket.

I find the fenders want to move in tight to the door and rocker at the bottom. This seems to relax quite a bit when you pull the bottom front of the fender inward to attach to the valance. I think getting the valance lined up and bolted before tightening the bottom back fender bolt and the bolt through the upper kick panel area may make it easier.

Got the front end on, except I was missing the bumper-to-fender braces and the LH bumper bracket was way out of whack (RH was fine, go figure since it was hit on the right). I ordered those so I didn't put the valence on yet. Just for posterity, if anyone reads this, here is the order I found that worked. hang fenders and get door gap correct. Tighten upper rear and bottom bolts but leave others loose. Put the grille and headlight buckets on, leaving the headlight buckets loose. Install the stone guard. Tighten the headlight buckets, fenders, and stone guard bolts. Then I will install the bumper and last the valence when I get the bumper brackets. Found that it is impossible to install the headlights to the buckets with lights in the holders-you can't get that spring. But if you put the holders in without headlights in them, it is very easy to get the springs in. I kinda held the valence up and it looks close. May have to loosen a few things to get it all to line up, we'll see.

Attachments

• IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 user