1966 Mustang Coupe

Jimador45

Jan 22, 2009
Hi my name is Juan and i am new to the forums and i have a few questions
I recently got a 1966 mustang coupe with the original I6 in it and i have been reading info about a V8 Swap and i have absolutley no mechanical skills but i want to learn so how hard is it to do it?

I have been reading tutorials on here and on average joe restoration about restoring the mustang. On average joe he starts dissasembly on the inside then works to the front then to the rear is that a good way to start?

And the car has some rust spots so i am going to get it media blasted should i get it painted while its at the shop?

as for all the parts to do the swap they say i can find most parts used but can i get the parts for the swap new?
i have been looking on craigslist and found a 9in rear end for a ford would this one work i also found a 8inch for $50 less and its a 5 lug from a V8 with 3.23:1 ratio

ill update this post with some pictures soon

• Sponsors (?)

while the swap from a six to a V8 isnt hard, it does require a lot of parts swapping, and not just mounts and rear ends, but spindles, springs, transmission, driveshaft, etc. there are also a number of details that must also be taken care of, wiring, linkage etc. it would be better to find a V8 car and start from there, or build the six. check out Ford Six Performance: The Web's Leading Resource for Ford Inline Six-Cylinder Engines and Cars! for tech and forums, and check out Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home for parts.

dont be so quick to dismiss the 6 cylinder....its a capable platform...and in all honesty, any straight 6 engine has more longevity than a v8....they are better balanced....a nicely modded v6 can make as much power and torque as a v8...possibly for less money invested than a full v-8 swap(once you add in all the things like spindles, etc etc)....and there are the larger 6 cylinders from the late 60s, early 70s fords(not sure if the straight 6 from the early 90s trucks will fit, but most likely so) theres even a place that makes an aluminum cylinder head for them that is supposed to give a big boost to power(70hp if I remember correctly, dont quote me on that though)

The link you posted is for a rear that came out of a coil spring vehicle, and it would have to be narrowed. It also has a 3.00 open diff. There are a lot of modifications that has to be done to install that rear, which means $$$. I would start with something more compatible that already has limited-slip.

The first sticky thread has good info about rearend swaps.

Go for the V8, a 6 isn't even an option in my book either.

The key thing is having the will to get what you want done and the right tools. Everyone has to start somewhere, but it would be a lot easier if you can find someone to mentor you if you really don't have much mechanical ability. There are few better cars to learn how to wrench on then 65/66 mustangs, IMO.

None of the mechanical work is 'that hard' particularly if you go with stock style parts, i.e find a 8" rear from another 65/66 mustang. But it will most likely take you much longer to do anything especially in the beginning because of lack of experience. But there is little to nothing you can't read in the service manuals or on the web.

Odds are you will need to replace/update much of your suspension anyways, so just buy a kit that has everything and you pretty much good to go on that end.

Rebuilding an engine is a bit more difficult so you may want to consider buying a mostly complete long block (new or used).

As far as body work goes- well I leave that for someone who knows what they are doing.

Do yourself a favor and go out and buy yourself a nice 300+ piece Craftsman tool set before you begin along with service manuals as well.

you V8 only guys crack me up. you think that a six cant make any power? there is a guy here in tucson that has a six cylinder powered falcon that is street driveable, everyday because he wants if that way, and runs 10's in the 1/4 mile.

you V8 only guys crack me up. you think that a six cant make any power? there is a guy here in tucson that has a six cylinder powered falcon that is street driveable, everyday because he wants if that way, and runs 10's in the 1/4 mile.

:D yeah i know, but, to get off topic, it's not that I don't think a 6 can make power, but if I wanted a 6 I would buy myself a Grand National or Supra, not a Mustang.

There is nothing like the sound of sbf v8 at idle or hard on the gas! Plus there is an abundance of inexpensive new and used sbf parts.

There is a lot to be said for the classic 6 cylinder, plus with the aftermarket now offering 4 lug disc brake kits, and performance carb set ups for the 200ci and 250ci motors you can make a nice sleeper out of a inline 6.

I have done the swap a few times when I worked at classic restoratiin shop (like 10 years ago) and you can do it on a budget if you are willing to shop, and collect the parts you need over time. You can ****** the discs from a granada, the rearends are easy, find a V8 in the junk yard and grab most the steering parts and just replace what you need, 5 lug wheels, you can find deals on motors and trannys, if you are gonna swap to an auto it may as well be an AOD just buy a tranny mount kit. You will need new springs, all around, and if you are gonna replace the springs you may as well go for the front suspension and spring mounts.

I did a swap on a car for about a total of $1,000 collecting parts, and going to the swap meet looking for deals back when I was in highschool. Just set a budget and try to stick to it, remember there is always another deal out there.

Ok while the car is at the body shop i will be looking for all the parts for the v-8 swap on the motor is it a good idea to buy a used one on craigslist and have it rebuilt or buy a newer model. i dont need a lot of power just enough for now

ill be on hear asking questions. i have a catalog from mustang plus and was looking at there suspension packages. Are there any new rear end axle packages online if not would a 1966 Mustang 8in rear end work 8" Ford rear end - 1966 Mustang