1967 289 to 351C swap?

my67stang

Aug 22, 2005
I have a '67 mustang coupe and am considering swapping the 289 it has in it for a 351C. I know that there is very little work involved in dropping in a windsor motor. But, i have heard that the cleveland is wider than the windsor. I was just wondering if it is significantly wider that is requires modifications to the shock towers, motor mounts, etc. Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't profess to know a lot about this subject, but I know there are several people on this forum that have done this swap. Paste the following links into your browser, which should get you started: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=511258&highlight=351Could; http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=571362&highlight=351C; http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php? t=546020&highlight=351C; http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=424682&highlight=351C

Although I consider a 351W swap a no-brainer if you want more power than a comparable 289/302 can offer, I have my misgivings regarding a 351C swap. First, there are limited aftermarket offerings compared to a 351W. Second, it is a wider engine than a 351W, which is already fairly tight in the engine bay, although I don't think either would be unmanageable in a '67. Third, (see first) the 351C with iron heads (the best flowing SBF Ford heads ever, admittedly) is a lot heavier than a 351W with readily inexpensive and very available and better flowing aluminum heads. With all of that being said, and in no way trying to :flame: 351C owners (in stock trim its undoubtedly the most awesome SBF ever produced), IMHO the 351W is the better choice. The 351C is, once again, an awesome engine, but in comparison to the 351W, it has suffered from little development of aftermarket parts since it hasn't been produced since, I believe, 1974. Just my $.02 though.

the 351c swap is nearly as easy as a 351w swap is. the only real difference is the headers, and on the 67-70 cars you actually have some room for them(remember that the 351c came in the 70 mustangs). mounts are the same as is the rad, hoses and other stuff for the 351w. the nice thing about hte 351c heads is that you dont need aftermarket heads to make power with these engines, as even the 351c 2v heads flow as well as aftermarket windsor heads, and the 4v heads flow enough to contain the mississipi river, or close to it!! i do agree though that the 351w is a better swap overall, but only because more parts are available for it, especially aluminum heads to take the weight off the front end. also the 351c blocks have a tendency to crack for a number of reasons, including the fact that 351c blocks tend to suffer more core shift problems than the 351w blocks do, and the oiling system on a 351c needs some changes for best reliability in a performance application.

my67stang said:
I have a '67 mustang coupe and am considering swapping the 289 it has in it for a 351C. I know that there is very little work involved in dropping in a windsor motor. But, i have heard that the cleveland is wider than the windsor. I was just wondering if it is significantly wider that is requires modifications to the shock towers, motor mounts, etc. Thanks a lot.
If you have access to a Cleveland, do it. :nice: If not, the Windsor is a second best. :D As rbohm said, the headers are the only real difference. There's room for either an FE or 385 series big block there, the Cleveland is a nice fit in 67-70's. As for parts being hard to find, that's B.S., pure and simple. The parts are out there, more and more everyday, you just have to open your eyes and look. :cheers:

D.Hearne said:
If you have access to a Cleveland, do it. :nice: If not, the Windsor is a second best. :D As rbohm said, the headers are the only real difference. There's room for either an FE or 385 series big block there, the Cleveland is a nice fit in 67-70's. As for parts being hard to find, that's B.S., pure and simple. The parts are out there, more and more everyday, you just have to open your eyes and look. :cheers:

Who said parts are hard to find for a 351C? :shrug: Rbohm and I just said there are more parts available for a 351W, which is undisputable. :nice:

65up2d8 said:
Who said parts are hard to find for a 351C? :shrug: Rbohm and I just said there are more parts available for a 351W, which is undisputable. :nice:
Is anyone making blocks for the C's? FoMoCo stopped making them around 1974, so the supply is getting thin by comparison (FRPP is still making big Windsors), but if you've got one use it!

Edbert said:
Is anyone making blocks for the C's? FoMoCo stopped making them around 1974, so the supply is getting thin by comparison (FRPP is still making big Windsors), but if you've got one use it!
Many of Ford's race blocks are designed with using Cleveland heads and cranks, so, yea you could say the blocks are still being produced. And good original blocks are still out there for those who look. I just recently aquired a good 72- 2 bolt cleveland, never rebuilt, everything's still std. ( and it's for sale in the classifieds here)

I love my C and havent had any problems finding parts, go for it!! It will make your car that much more unusual!!! 289 to 351C sounds good to me, you know what they say, There's no replacement for displacement!! :nice: