1967 Mustang Rear End

Mario117

Aug 1, 2016
Hello everyone, I was gifted a 1967 V6 Mustang but it has drum breaks and 4 lug nuts. What i need to do is change the whole rear end but i have no idea where to start. I don't know what to buy, where to buy, can i grab another ford vehicle's rear end to use and if so what car. I heard a Ford explorer can but i don't know what year. I'm totally lost can someone please help me figure things out.

• Sponsors (?)

Any 67 -70 8 inch or 9 inch will bolt in .I believe an explorer rear end has to be modified to work .The front spindles are all the same 67 to 69 and 70 spindles are actually better but have a larger outer bearing .so a drum change to 5 lug is easy or you can go with kelsey Hays 65 -67 disk brakes and they bolt right on .

Any 67 -70 8 inch or 9 inch will bolt in .I believe an explorer rear end has to be modified to work .The front spindles are all the same 67 to 69 and 70 spindles are actually better but have a larger outer bearing .so a drum change to 5 lug is easy or you can go with kelsey Hays 65 -67 disk brakes and they bolt right on .
someone is willing to sell me a back end for $600 is that a good price for it? all i want to do is change from 4 to 5 lug nuts so i have buy better rims for my car. Also buy any chance do you know any website that sell them?

Unless its new that is pretty high for a used rearend .you should be able to find one for around a couple of hundred .
You would need to find out what gears are in it also ,it will probably be around 2.70s and that would be way to high . 3.0 or 3.25 would be a good ratio .there is a tag on the third member ,the 2 or the 3 is sometimes hard to see because it is right at the edge of the bolt but if you can easily read .70 it will be to high .25 would probably be 3.25s