1967 Rear End

Mario117

Aug 1, 2016
Hello everyone, I was gifted a 1967 V6 Mustang but it has drum breaks and 4 lug nuts. What i need to do is change the whole rear end but i have no idea where to start. I don't know what to buy, where to buy, can i grab another ford vehicle's rear end to use and if so what car. I heard a Ford explorer can but i don't know what year. I'm totally lost can someone please help me figure things out.

• Sponsors(?)

skyline247

Advanced Member
Jul 28, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome!

You should post these questions in the classic forum. There are knowledgeable people there that should be able to help you out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
www.edbert.net
That short question has some long answers, I wont go into details but hopefully I can help you narrow down your choices.

There are three relatively easy to install rear ends that are worth having/doing...the 8-inch, the 9-inch and the 8.8.

They all have advantages..
the 8 is cheap. lightweight, low drag. and a simple bolt-in
the 9 is seriously strong, with a penalty in parasitic loss and weight
the 8.8 is the hardest to install since it was not offered back int he day, but it is a nice compromise on the above two and can be found with factory disc brakes.

I would not go the 8.8 route unless you can do the fabrication yourself or are willing to pay a professional.

There's also a long thread that has been stickied, you can find it here:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/rearend-swap-info-faq.656567/