1969 mustang Neutral safety switch problem

tredd1

Oct 8, 2007
Hi again.

I have another problem with my neutral safety switch. I have a 302 ith a c4 cruzomatic transmission. I had to swap out the shifter linkage because the tranny came out of a column shift thunderbird. Anyway, I couldnt get the nutral safety switch to start in park or neutral. So I took it off and manually adjusted it by hand. I finally found the point on the swich which appeared to be neutral and the car started. When I reinstalled the swich, It would not line up with the mounting holes on the transmission. Am I missing a step?

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a pic of a switch and a c4 main housing. The switch should slide over the selector shaft and two screws fasten it to the two threaded bosses on each side. Make sure your trans is in Park and rotate the plastic bushing inside all the way counterclockwise. Then line up the two keys onto the selector shaft. If it doesn't line up, it's possible you have incompatible parts. I thought all C4s were similar

It looks like it could be rotated 180 and fastened on as long as there is nothing to interfere.:shrug:

SW368-B.jpg

mufp_0605_27_z+small_block_ford_transmission_performance+tailshaft_housing.jpg

Attachments

• SW368-B.jpg
    SW368-B.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 327
  • mufp_0605_27_z+small_block_ford_transmission_performance+tailshaft_housing.jpg
    mufp_0605_27_z+small_block_ford_transmission_performance+tailshaft_housing.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 219
You may have it upside down. It will go on upside down, but the holes won't line up. THe holes should only line up one way. The body of the switch should be up or on top, with the wires pointing up. I can look at mine in the shop tomorrow. By then you will already have it figured out...

I got the switch to mount on the tranny but the starter does not fire in park or neutral. When I take it off it an manually turn the bushing to the proper setting it fires but for some reason the bushing will not match up with the linkag in the firing position

Are the keys on the switch lining up with the slots on the selector shaft?

If you hold the key in the start position and move the shifter through it's travel, does it crank anywhere?

There is only about a 1/4" of adjustment on the switch housings elongated holes.

Maybe you just have a bad switch. The contacts get worn and get finicky.

Yes, can you get it to crank in any shifter position?
ANother thought, could it be flipped over front to back? Not sure thats possible. I forgot to get a picture. I'll try and remember early tomorrow morning.

I think your right the contactors may be coorded. the switch was outside fo a while. Ill try the shifter trick today. There is one slot where the switch does fire but but it is not in mountable position. I wonder if I have the wrong year switch

Your info might help me

Hi, I realize this is an ancient post but I thought I'd ask if you ever got your problem fixed, and how? I am having the same problem in a '69. Thanks.