1976 Cobra Ii Build Thread By Kenny Stclair

kenny93

Feb 16, 2016
Decided to start a build thread on my car will be updated every weekend until it's painted then I will update as I get start to modify it The car is a 1976 cobra II 302 4 speed. It was my first car and this is my second time going through it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

0221161815.jpg
Cut the quarter panel out today to replace it

I remember this stage with mine. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Gonna keep an eye on it to see your finished product for sure! Good luck!!

Just a quick update ordered my new wheels last night went with the legendary wheel co. Magnum 500 16x8 with gloss black inserts. Will be posting a picture of them when they come in
w919-v_1.1676.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
1976 Cobra II 302 4 speed was my first new car. I should have never sold it. I bought another Cobra II last year. This one is a 1977 with an automatic. It was restored when I bought it.
Keep posting pictures of your progress. I want to see how the 16" wheels look!

Haven't had time to update In a while I will have the new quarter panel welded in this weekend. And then I just have to finish body work then it will be getting painted. The wheels will be going on after paint I still have to convert to five lug.

Was that a lap weld? If so did you crimp the lap or just overlap the panels?
I did a 77 Elcamino a few years back and got a panel crimper cheap from Harbor Freight. When I was done I soldit for almost what I paid for it!
Well worth the cost and made the bodywork easier.
Actually only crimped one side and butt welded the other.(I got brave!LOL)

We crimped the oldt panel to where the new one sat flush and then welded it on im not sure if thats what you meant or not lol.the other side we did diffrent the first time we went through it we crimped then punched holes down it and welded in the holes this time we welded the seem were thet met

How far are you going with this Kenny? Do you have a render of what you're looking for?

Good choice on the wheels. :nice: They look like the Wheel Vintiques aluminum Magnum 500s... One of my favorites on many Mustang model years.

Yep! That is what I was asking. Couldn't tell from the picture if if was just overlapped or if it had been crimped.
Even an uncrimped lap weld will last if prepped well and the car doesn't see a lot of bad weather. But a crimp weld is much better because of how much less filler it takes to finish.
Looking great! Keep up the good work!

How far are you going with this Kenny? Do you have a render of what you're looking for?

Good choice on the wheels. :nice: They look like the Wheel Vintiques aluminum Magnum 500s... One of my favorites on many Mustang model years.

I dont have a render except in my head lol but it will be going back to white and blue im trying to get as close to factory as possible paint wise. The only thing im adding is the window blackouts like a 78 has. I have never seen one with the 76 stripes and 78 blackouts so it should be a little diffrent. I chose the 16 inch wheels because i feel they will fit the wheel wells better i had 17 inch wheels on it before and they were just to big imo. I was actually gonna try to find something diffrent from the traditional mustang wheel but when i found them i decided i liked them to much lol. I will probably lower it some and thats about it. I will be modifying it starting probably next year with a 351 w turbo, five or six speed swap,8.8 rear end and maybe four link in the rear. But on the outside it will look like a fairly stock cobra other than the wheels. I can try to talk my gf into coming up with a render shes good at stuff like that if so i will post it.

Yep! That is what I was asking. Couldn't tell from the picture if if was just overlapped or if it had been crimped.
Even an uncrimped lap weld will last if prepped well and the car doesn't see a lot of bad weather. But a crimp weld is much better because of how much less filler it takes to finish.
Looking great! Keep up the good work!

I am very happy with the way it turned out and your right i wont have a whole lot of filler in it. But either way this car wont see alot of bad weather only if i get caught in it by accident lol

20160710_164346.jpg
after priming and blocking 3 times and filling countless tiny spots with spot putty she's finally ready for the paint. Hopefully have it painted next weekend. And it's a good thing to if I'm gonna drive it to the Woodward dream cruise next month. Hopefully my bumpers get here before next weekend decided to try the fiberglass ones because mine were shot.